GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Engineer

Okay will have to charge battery.... then check at plug ... none at plug check at coil .. pull coil wire off dist. cap .
    Hold with insulated pliers ect. Hold coil wire over dist. cap port where it came from turn engine over see if it sparks .
    Or hold coil wire close to intake ect. see if spark jumps . Should be a good spark almost hear it.
    Your injectors are pulsing fuel ..so i would not suspect anything in dist. Ignition module in dist. fires the injectors and coil. But if they go bad usually will not fire injectors.If it would run and seem like it was out of time might think pickup coil ..mouted to dist. shaft inside dist.
    Lets check spark first good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    Okay will have to charge battery.... then check at plug ... none at plug check at coil .. pull coil wire off dist. cap .
    Hold with insulated pliers ect. Hold coil wire over dist. cap port where it came from turn engine over see if it sparks .
    Or hold coil wire close to intake ect. see if spark jumps . Should be a good spark almost hear it.
    Your injectors are pulsing fuel ..so i would not suspect anything in dist. Ignition module in dist. fires the injectors and coil. But if they go bad usually will not fire injectors.If it would run and seem like it was out of time might think pickup coil ..mouted to dist. shaft inside dist.
    Lets check spark first good starting point.
    Dipstick,
    No spark at a plug. I checked ignition coil spark, looked OK - it was a small yellow spark that was transferring between the coil wire and the cap coil port. Does this mean the distributor and components are bad? I am going to replace the cap and rotor, then the pick up coil if that doesn't work, then lastly the TPS... Does this sound like the appropriate procedure in dealing with this problem? I did not mention spark plugs because the engine - when started - ran fair at idle/slowly attained high rpm fine, and it is very tedious to replace them all with those metalic plates around them and the manifold...

Thank you
    Last edited by Nick72; 12-16-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Sr. Engineer

Getting a yellow spark from coil ... Just change the coil should be a strong blue spark.
    I think all inside dist. is good due to injectors working.

Okay I will replace the coil. The center of the rotor also looks black, could that be the problem as well?

I had trouble with my '97 around a year ago, sounds like similar symptoms. However, mine turned out to be insufficient fuel pressure ... rectified by a new fuel pump (and new wiring to the pump for good measure). Yes, it was getting fuel, but it was not maintaining enough pressure and hence, starving the injectors. Granted, the '97 is not the Throttle Body FI that the '94 uses. Something to consider, though.

Quote Originally Posted by boycbronco View Post
    I had trouble with my '97 around a year ago, sounds like similar symptoms. However, mine turned out to be insufficient fuel pressure ... rectified by a new fuel pump (and new wiring to the pump for good measure). Yes, it was getting fuel, but it was not maintaining enough pressure and hence, starving the injectors. Granted, the '97 is not the Throttle Body FI that the '94 uses. Something to consider, though.
    As far as I know, TBI uses significantly less fuel pressure then MFI or other EFI systems, which would leave less margin for fuel pressure related problems. But I thank you for the idea though! It still could be true, but I am not getting spark.

Sr. Engineer

If you have the means would not hurt to change rotor button... could clean it.
    Your right on fuel pressure yours 9 to 14 psi ..12 good. cpfi at least 58 psi to run quite a big difference huh.,

I changed the ignition coil. Spark is blue from the coil. I have not done the rotor or distributor cap, but I am still not getting spark to the plugs.

Is the pick up coil faulty? Thank you
    Last edited by Nick72; 12-17-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Sr. Engineer

No igniton module pickup work together .. they fire the coil . must be dist. cap or rotor button.
    Or plug wires. When you check spark at plugs are you holding plugs against metal to groud out?

Okay, I replaced the distributor cap and rotor today and it produced spark, and started up! Thanks for your help!
    It sounds like it has a misfire or dead cylinder on one of the cylinders though, and is idling at about 500RPM.
    Is the normal idle speed 500rpm on these vehicles? it seems low to me. I purchased a new wireset and plugs, should fix the miss fire.

It drives though, and the stalling problem is gone. Looks like it was the ignition coil and rotors fault all along!