GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

Blog Entries

I would not run straight pipes unless you are wiling to be pulled all the time. I'm not sure what the law enforcement is like where you live but here Myrtle Beach you will guaranteed get it ticket for loud or modified exhaust. If you live out in the country you can do pretty much what ever you want.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

I have flowmasters on my 95. it sounds great, imho. I have had the exhaust done 3 times. first was no muffler, it popped alot, I could not stand how it sounded. Then I put the headers on and had flow masters put on. The guy failed to put a cross over in so it sounded like two 4 cylinders, the passenger side popped and crackled because it was basically a strait pipe from the header to the muffler (no resistance). I then had it redone with a cross over and it sounds really nice. I can still drive thru neighborhoods at 2 am and not worry about waking everyone up, if i am easy on the pedal. If I get on it, then it is loud. But, with rear exits it is not bad in the cab

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions are on h pipes and x pipes. I have heard decent things about both but i was curious to see the sound difference in the exhaust with either in there and what some peoples opinions are on what is better. Thanks
    Tony-1999 Chevy 1500 z71 4x4

My setup has headers with no x y or h pipe, or cats to flowmaster mufflers and then exit straight out the rear. The sound in the cab is low on highway or just cruising, but if I turn my head (one ear pointing to rear of cab) it is definately louder. If I stomp on it you definatly know you are strapped in behind a V8.
    Old Show Trucks USA conversion
    Custom Paint, interior (Wood grain and leather seats) windows so dark you need a flash light to see me, stock rims, headers, dual exhaust.

my buddy had a 98 ex cab with a 5.7 and he had duals put on after the cats without mufflers and it sounded good. With the windows up it did not make a lot of noise in the cab and also sounded great outside the truck. My choice would be put duals on after the two cats without mufflers. Or if you decide you want mufflers put some nice glass packs in it. They will quiet it while still maintaining a good sound with a little cackle.

I run stainless mid-length headers on my 99 (5.3 truck) with a X-pipe and pypes race pro mufflers. I also had the rear O2s deleted. It sounds great. I run an X pipes on everything.

would i get a smoother sound with x pipe on it with out as much popping and crackling becasue i do not like it when it crackles and pops alot.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_truck_driver View Post
    would i get a smoother sound with x pipe on it with out as much popping and crackling becasue i do not like it when it crackles and pops alot.
    Yeah, the Xpipe will even out the tone and even out the back pressure.

I usually do straight pipes on the 5.7L. Loud when you want it and loud when you don't. I have had Flowmasters as well and they droned like crazy on the highway. I currently have Magnaflows on my 5.3L and I love them. Great tone without the drone. Not extremely loud but I got the 18" which is a bigger one.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.

i ran a h pipe. i had a x pipe on it but my o2 sensor did not like it. no issues with poping or crackle.
    1994 Chevy Silverado {the work horse}
    1996 Ford Explorer {daily runner)
    1997 Buick Lesabre {wife's car}
    1989 Buick Reatta {my baby}