GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default 98 Suburban starter-9 tooth-will 10-11 tooth work??

My starter -1/2 ton 2wd 1998 Suburban- has been going bad for a long time-3 years maybe.
    If it is warm- but I shut it off-wait a few minutes- it will barely crank- wait several hours-cranks ok.
    I'm told this is typical for a GM starter failing-something about it getting hot from the motor-resistance going up in a failing part(not sure exactly what part of starter is failing).
    My question- my starter has 9 teeth-do I absolutely need a 9 tooth starter-and did all 1998 5.7 1/2 tons come with 9t.

I already screwed up once-got new cheapo eBAY CHINESE STARTER -$59-waited 11 months to install- WRONG STARTER-FLANGE where it goes into motor much too small-too late to return.
    There is a lightly used starter on ebay-say 98 suburban-wondering if it will work if wrong # of teeth-seller hasn't gotten back to me yet

Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I am sorry to say that I would bite the bullet and buy a new one from a parts store. You already cost yourself $59 for an ebay starter that was incorrect. You can get a cheap valuecraft starter at autozone for $64.99 with a one year warranty and if it does not fit you can take it back. For $100 you can get a lifetime warranty starter. Why continue to try to buy one on Ebay? Get a new one and be done with it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-14-2011 at 10:29 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Charley your gonna have to suck it up and pay out the money for the correct starter for your application. This one wont mesh right, at the very least you'll have a terrible whine everytime it starts, but other possibilities are the starter gear getting stuck after starting and toasting or the gear breaking your fly wheel which will cost more $$.
    As pointed out Auto Zone and possibly many other auto supply stores have inexspensive starters with warranty, and their local so you wont pay any shipping.

Sr. Engineer

[QUOTE=tbplus10;422511]Charley your gonna have to suck it up and pay out the money for the correct starter for your application. This one wont mesh right, at the very least you'll have a terrible whine everytime it starts, but other possibilities are the starter gear getting stuck after starting and toasting or the gear breaking your fly wheel which will cost more $$.
    As pointed out Auto Zone and possibly many other auto supply stores have inexspensive starters with warranty, and their local so you wont pay any shipping.[/QUOTE

GITTER DONE...

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I am sorry to say that I would bite the bullet and buy a new one from a parts store. You already cost yourself $59 for an ebay starter that was incorrect. You can get a cheap valuecraft starter at autozone for $64.99 with a one year warranty and if it does not fit you can take it back. For $100 you can get a lifetime warranty starter. Why continue to try to buy one on Ebay? Get a new one and be done with it.
    +1
    There are things that I would absolutly buy used, or from a junk yard, but a starter is not one of them, you never know what you are getting, I bought a starter motor from Autozone, it worked for a wile, but it would crank the engine way fast, I thought cool, it went out in just a couple of weeks, took it back to Autozone they just gave me another one no questions asked, and that starter motor is still in the truck, the first one going bad was a fluke, I have had very few problems with parts from Autozone, but you get the point.
    Terry

Legend
    Blog Entries

You have probably gotten the best advice Charlie. Any chance you could swap the mounting flanges? Same for the bendix if it is in good shape. Probably not but a thought. I have had starters repaired at an auto electric shop but I do not know if they will rewind one which might be what you need.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Guys-(FINALLY HEARD FROM SELLER-9 TOOTH off low mile wrecked 98 Suburban-apparently it was either a new remy(seems unlikely) or a genuine remy rebuild-
    I cross my fingers and bought it-I'm kinda biased toward OEM parts-and biased against AZ parts on complicated devices-they are all Chinese hit and miss crap-)
    Thanks for the info recommendations.It is annoying to give advice and guy asking for it to ignore it- but I just like OEM used better than aftermarket-chinese- new.Starter lasted 217,600 miles(still works more or less-might rebuild it)
    If you don't mind-eyeball this ebay listing-at the bottom-so if it isn't 9 teeth-like mine-forget it
    The seller appears to be some sort of used parts business?
    He says it if from a 1998 Suburban-but no mention of teeth-
    The reason tis one appeals to me is its supposed to a a genuine Delco Remy with just 2000 miles on it.
    Yeah, how do you get a starter for a 13 year old vehicle that has so few miles on it?
    Who buys new OEM starters??? Probably cost $300 to by a New Delco starter.I really like OEM delco etc parts when I can afford them-instead of chinese parts

I had problems-10 years ago- with an Autozone life time warranty part
    Clutch master cylinder-original lasted 9 years- 1st AZ lasted 3 months
    2nd lasted 6 weeks 3rd lasted 2 months
    I finally gave up on the lifetime warranty and bought a rebuilt -by Toyota- part.
    I have since gotten water pumps for the suburban and brake booster at AZ- no problems 2 years in so
    Maybe hydraulic parts are a bit trickier than mechanical or electrical parts

Take a look at this listing-see what you think
    Yeah I'm broke-hence the urge to cheap out.
    AZ's cheapest starter is $77 1 year warranty
    The lifetime warranty ones are $127 or so
    Thanks
    Charlie
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320753283065...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 12-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA