GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hardwire a Plasmaglow fire and ice bar

Does anyone know how to hardwire a Plasmaglow fire and ice bar. It came with the 4 prong to connect to the trailer hook up but the trailer hook up on my truck was somewhat broken off. I was wondering how to hardwire it into the 7 wire connector. Any help would be appreciated.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

I had the same question when I installed my tailgate bar. I don't know how to post a link to it but if you do a search it should come up. I was lucky I was able to look at the back of the 7 pin harness the wires still had the sticker on them to identify what was what. However I did get a response from someone that was able to give a good diagram with wire id's. Good luck. One thing I found out after the fact is to not solder the connections. I was told by a local shop that the harness isn't able to handle the heat. If this is true or not I am not sure, Just thought I would pass along that little bit of info.

04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

I think I can use some wire spice connectors and hardwire it into the tail lights.

I recently contacted PlasmaGlow about why the PlasmaGlow instructions indicate the following: "DO NOT USE TRAILER HARNESS WIRING!"

My inquiry read as follows:
    A 7-pin trailer harness appears to have all of the requisite connections for the Firestorm and is easy enough to tap. Aside from Plasmaglow selling fewer of its converters, what risk is there in using the 7-pin trailer harness. Please explain.

The response I received read as follows:
    On most trucks, the electronic brake will pulse a signal to detect a trailer which will make the bar blink when it is not supposed to, even sometimes when the truck is off. On normal trailer bulbs, this pulse isn't seen, but the LEDs are much more sensitive.

Fact or fiction designed to sell more converters?

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch Mclovin View Post
    I think I can use some wire spice connectors and hardwire it into the tail lights.
    This is what most guys do.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

@surrealone I have my recon lightbar (I forget which one I have) directly wired to the back of the 7 pin harness. I have had zero issues that were given to you by plasmaglow.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    @surrealone I have my recon lightbar (I forget which one I have) directly wired to the back of the 7 pin harness. I have had zero issues that were given to you by plasmaglow.
    @Klutch Mclovin : A little late to the party with this info but were you looking for this? http://www.listatrailer.com/help/7wire.html

@aloxdaddy99 : That's likely what I would do, too -- to see if PG was BS'ing me or not.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 12-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.

I hardwired it into the tail lights using wire splice connectors and it works fine.