GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 03' trans delay.

I have a 03' 1500HD. It has the 6.0. I noticed on cold morning starts that the trans will whine and delay reverse only some times. Trans has 135k on it and was serviced around 85k. Is it safe to change fluid and filter or maybe drain pan and add new with some Lucas trans stuff? All miles are highway- Arizona to Texas. Have to make the round trip again in two weeks, am I Safe?????? Any help on this matter would be great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 03boy View Post
    I have a 03' 1500HD. It has the 6.0. I noticed on cold morning starts that the trans will whine and delay reverse only some times. Trans has 135k on it and was serviced around 85k. Is it safe to change fluid and filter or maybe drain pan and add new with some Lucas trans stuff? All miles are highway- Arizona to Texas. Have to make the round trip again in two weeks, am I Safe?????? Any help on this matter would be great!!!

Welcome to the Site.....

This information is from Amoil..........Transmission Fluid,
    .....Cold temperatures can cause conventional automatic transmission fluids to increase in viscosity, causing a decrease in automatic transmission efficiency. This efficiency decrease is often referred to as sluggish operation; which demands more energy from the engine to actuate all the parts that come into contact with the automatic transmission fluid. Synthetic oils that are not affected by temperature reductions as much as conventional oils will have better low temperature pumpability and therefore better mechanical efficiency. Better efficiency can provide better fuel economy.

Here is the link, where the above information came from,
    http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/au...sion_fluid.htm

I would say that it is safe to, drop the pan and change the Fluid and Filter.....and regarding the Whine your hearing, you could
    just to be on the safe side have the truck scan for any Transmission Codes, and most if not all Transmission Shop, will have the scanner to do this for you.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN