GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Mechanic

Default New Head Unit in 03 Silverado

Morning everyone,
    I've replaced my two door speakers yesterday with 2.5" Sony Xplode speakers and today I will replace the two in the extended doors. Now im looking to replace my head unit in my Silverado. I was looking at the 6 disc factory unit (mine is only one) but I know I will not have the best audio possible. Problem is I am looking to this summer to replace my steering wheel with one with the controls built in. I don't need to have gps nav or a computer for a radio. If I went aftermarket it would be just a cd changer with a usb port for my ipod. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

Blog Entries

I just bought one of these and I love it. It doesn't have a CD player but there are no cables or wires hanging everywhere!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x158DSX310B-F.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	32733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x158DSX310B-o_tray.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	32734

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSX2...Media_Receiver

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Master Mechanic

I was looking at that yesterday and didnt even no it could do that! I no they make the kits that gives u a pocket underneith but is their ones that dont have the pocket? I think that space looks so..cheep.

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I was looking at that yesterday and didnt even no it could do that! I no they make the kits that gives u a pocket underneith but is their ones that dont have the pocket? I think that space looks so..cheep.
    I think that most dash kits leave a storage pocket to fill the void left by a single DIN unit. I have not seen any double DIN units that have the internel iPod storage. I do agree with you though. If the truck had a double DIN as most newer GMs do, they do look better with an aftermarket double DIN!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,

Master Mechanic

Yeah I know what you mean. I no im not the only one out there, so for everyone running a single din aftermarket radio, what did you do to mount it.

Legend

Blog Entries

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER

Master Mechanic

Thanks for the help man. I thought all double dins were just like the touch screen does everything ones. Im gonna look at these alot more now.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    Thanks for the help man. I thought all double dins were just like the touch screen does everything ones. Im gonna look at these alot more now.
    No problem. There alot of great options out there if you look around!!! Good luck

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER

Why not get a Kenwood with Garmin sat nav? They have a USB input which you could easily mate to one of these to produce a flush, OEM fit in your dash somewhere: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

If cost is an issue perhaps you should look into a factory refurbished unit. Here's one for 500 bucks: http://www.salectronics.com/detail.a...FQ9Y7AodB1z8lA

Food for thought.

Surreal

P.S. I have that very flush-mount connector and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    Why not get a Kenwood with Garmin sat nav? They have a USB input which you could easily mate to one of these to produce a flush, OEM fit in your dash somewhere: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

If cost is an issue perhaps you should look into a factory refurbished unit. Here's one for 500 bucks: http://www.salectronics.com/detail.a...FQ9Y7AodB1z8lA

Food for thought.

Surreal

P.S. I have that very flush-mount connector and love it.
    I like that connector. I have a kenwood dnx7180 nav unit coming as a Christmas gift... My mom had to spill the beans after the pioneer avic-z130 ended up being back ordered. I want to get connector like that to tuck away (probably in or behind my glove box) so that I can have a USB port rather than a loose cable end to be able to easily switch between iPod and a flash drive for updates, backgrounds, and boot screens.

Anyway, now that that's been said, I agree with Kyle that the single din with the pocket beneath looks cheap. Anything else will look good and sound better than factory, especially if you don't have Bose. As a side note though, I don't think the factory 6 disc would work if you don't have Bose because I've never seen a truck without Bose that has the 6 disc

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast