GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Cold Air Intakes: Opinion on if they really add power or not.

Just curious how those with a CAI actually feel about them. Do you believe it gives you more power/better fuel economy?

Personally, after installing my CAI a couple of years ago, I have seen no improvement from it alone under normal operation. The reason I say that is because I had it on there for about 6 months before I did any other engine mods, and the only time I saw an improvement in power was at wide open throttle. I didn't get any better gas mileage either, which wasn't as big of a deal to me since I knew that getting a pickup wasn't going to be smart as far as fuel efficiency. But I did want to get more power since I do use my truck as a tow pig every now and then and did not want it to fall flat on it's face going over some of the hills around here. So, I put some more money into the engine and have seen some very noticeable increases, but I wouldn't say that any of them come from the CAI itself.

For me, it also wasn't a huge deal about not getting any extra power because I got the kit for dirt cheap, but I see some people starting threads on wanting the best one and I want to tell them not to waste their money, but I am curious if there are any other members who actually have seen gains.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Just curious how those with a CAI actually feel about them. Do you believe it gives you more power/better fuel economy?

Personally, after installing my CAI a couple of years ago, I have seen no improvement from it alone under normal operation. The reason I say that is because I had it on there for about 6 months before I did any other engine mods, and the only time I saw an improvement in power was at wide open throttle. I didn't get any better gas mileage either, which wasn't as big of a deal to me since I knew that getting a pickup wasn't going to be smart as far as fuel efficiency. But I did want to get more power since I do use my truck as a tow pig every now and then and did not want it to fall flat on it's face going over some of the hills around here. So, I put some more money into the engine and have seen some very noticeable increases, but I wouldn't say that any of them come from the CAI itself.

For me, it also wasn't a huge deal about not getting any extra power because I got the kit for dirt cheap, but I see some people starting threads on wanting the best one and I want to tell them not to waste their money, but I am curious if there are any other members who actually have seen gains.

K&N's Web Site State's.......with their CAI installed, Gains in H.P. is 9.12 H.P., but those H.P.Gains are at...... 5352 R.P.M......for a 5.3 Liter......I had a K&N CAI on my Truck, I've gone back to their Drop in Air Filter, and as of now I'm receiving a little Better Fuel Mileage and have noticed No Change and/or Drop in H.P.......but then again, I have not had the truck put on a Dyno to see if there has been a drop in H.P.......I'm guessing that most other CAI's would be along the same lines as K&N's CAI???.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-16-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

CAI's produce only slightly more HP ... ONLY when the engine is gulping as much air as possible (a la wide open throttle). Better gas mileage is a myth, but you do get a different air intake sound from them. Had my truck not had one already-installed when I bought it (used), I'd have stuck with stock. Then again, the fact that my truck had one already on it was a selling point for me ... prior to researching CAI's on my own.

Surreal

P.S. Don't waste your time trying to tell people CAI's are a waste of cash; when someone's mind is made up it's made up. As an example I cite that aftermarket HIDs (without a HID retrofit) are rather the same way in that they 'feel' brighter but add glare due to lack of proper assembly to direct the light and beam cut-off. I've pointed this out on numerous occasions and it ALWAYS falls on deaf ears. (Everytime I see someone with an aftermarket kit glaring away down the road I secretly pray they drop a ballast!) Now if I can't make any headway with something that actually poses a hazard to drivers and others (which is why some jurisdictions make aftermarket HIDs illegal) ... do you think you can make headway on something that poses no risk?!
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 12-18-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    CAI's produce only slightly more HP ... ONLY when the engine is gulping as much air as possible (a la wide open throttle). Better gas mileage is a myth, but you do get a different air intake sound from them. Had my truck not had one already-installed when I bought it (used), I'd have stuck with stock. Then again, the fact that my truck had one already on it was a selling point for me ... prior to researching CAI's on my own.

Surreal

P.S. Don't waste your time trying to tell people CAI's are a waste of cash; when someone's mind is made up it's made up. As an example I cite that aftermarket HIDs (without a HID retrofit) are rather the same way in that they 'feel' brighter but add glare due to lack of proper assembly to direct the light and beam cut-off. I've pointed this out on numerous occasions and it ALWAYS falls on deaf ears. (Everytime I see someone with an aftermarket kit glaring away down the road I secretly pray they drop a ballast!) Now if I can't make any headway with something that actually poses a hazard to drivers and others (which is why some jurisdictions make aftermarket HIDs illegal) ... do you think you can make headway on something that poses no risk?!
    I agree with you saying that whewn one's mind is made up, it's made up ..........TBS (that being said ) I just simply want a CAI, and will probably
    get one in the spring .......wouldn't notice any performance improvement up here in Canada in the winter ....Brian ....p.s...great long-box and great pic!!!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

99'Heartbeat - What kind of milage difference did you see with the K&N drop in filter?

I just noticed it was a little bit quicker at WOT.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Legend

Blog Entries

I think with a CAI and an free flowing exhaust you will see a gain in fuel mileage because you are allowing the engine to breath more freely. The highest gain in fuel mileage and performance come from LONG TUBE headers when it comes to bolt on accessories. You will see alot less gains from short tube headers.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

I worked at K&N at one time... you DO get more HP. even if its a high millage beat to hell engine, it will gain HP.

but you will loose economy 90% of the time
    particularly if it goes on a OBD2 controlled motor. with all the extra sensors involved, more air = more fuel in the engine.

making the engine turn easier is the key to HP and economy, yes. but, with newer motors it is very difficult to fool the paired engineering and computer programming to get you better gas millage.

i mean, you dont even get to drive new trucks now. the gas peddel is a controll stick, which tells the engine throddle to open... you dont actually get to open the butterfly anymore...

Electric fan (over mechanical), long tube headders, high flow muffler, and an isolated cold air intake will get you a lot more HP, but with an OBD2 truck you may not see much improvement in fuel economy.
    simply because the engine's driving habbits will not change. even programming chips/devices can only change the computer & engine's operating habbits for a little bit before the sensors reprogram
    Last edited by K15 Blazer Guy; 07-16-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    I worked at K&N at one time... you DO get more HP. even if its a high millage beat to hell engine, it will gain HP.

but you will loose economy 90% of the time
    particularly if it goes on a OBD2 controlled motor. with all the extra sensors involved, more air = more fuel in the engine.

making the engine turn easier is the key to HP and economy, yes. but, with newer motors it is very difficult to fool the paired engineering and computer programming to get you better gas millage.

i mean, you dont even get to drive new trucks now. the gas peddel is a controll stick, which tells the engine throddle to open... you dont actually get to open the butterfly anymore...

Electric fan (over mechanical), long tube headders, high flow muffler, and an isolated cold air intake will get you a lot more HP, but with an OBD2 truck you may not see much improvement in fuel economy.
    simply because the engine's driving habbits will not change. even programming chips/devices can only change the computer & engine's operating habbits for a little bit before the sensors reprogram

How long ago did you work there? Did you work with Mr Blum?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Here's some info for ya....

30 Day Test Drive Money Back Guarantee on K&N Air Intake Systems
    We are so confident that you will be completely satisfied with your K&N air intake that the KNFilters.com Store is now offering a 30 Day Test Drive Money Back Guarantee. This will allow you to try a K&N air intake with confidence that if you don’t like it, you can return it for a full refund. We will even provide a no-cost return shipping label. This offer is only available for air intake kit purchases directly from Store.KNfilters.com, and is limited to USA addresses. Details for this offer are described below.

Buy a K&N air intake system from Store.KNfilters.com and “Test Drive” it for 30 days at no risk to you. Save the original shipping box and packing list. If you are not completely satisfied and wish to return your intake, simply call our customer support team in Riverside, California at 800-858-3333 within 30 days of the original purchase for a no-hassle return. Provide the order number from your packing list and we will issue a return authorization number to you. We will also send you a shipping label to get the intake returned at no cost to you. Your credit card will be credited for your full purchase cost including tax after we receive the returned intake kit.

Offer valid only for purchases made directly from Store.KNFilters.com. Offer limited to K&N air intake part numbers beginning with 57, 63, 77, or 69. Offer limited to USA shipping addresses and USA return addresses. Offer limited to one intake kit return per household or address. Your original order number or packing list number from Store.KNfilters.com will be required. K&N must be notified of the return within 30 days of the customer receiving the package in order to qualify for full credit and free return shipping. Free shipping requires a K&N return authorization number and a return shipping label supplied by K&N. Product must be shipped within 10 business days of the return shipping label being issued. Allow up to 30 days for return credit to be applied to your credit card. Please package the intake kit in the original box and affix the K&N return shipping label over the original shipping label. Please display the return authorization number on the outside of the package.

Copyright 2012 K&N Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast