GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need help deciding on an older Chevy/GMC truck

So I am thinking of getting myself an older Chevy/GMC truck in the spring time next year. I am looking to do a partial type restore on it. I would be removing the cab/box and cleaning up the frame/repainting it, replacing brake/fuel lines, resealing the motor & painting it, fixing the body & repainting, etc., etc......

What would you recommend is the best year truck to go with? I would love to do a '72 Chevy as I used to have one 10 years ago but my brother rolled it. But they are hard to find in decent shape for a decent price. So I was thinking '73-'87, '91-'94. I was thinking of skipping the '88-'90 as I don't like the interior (mainly the dash/cluster).

I've got a Pick-N-Pull in Edmonton to get parts for any of these model's so parts aren't too much of a problem.

Thanks for all your help/advice.

--Edit: I forgot to mention that I am to find a long bed truck as I personally don't like short bed's --
    Last edited by johnvosh; 12-18-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Out of your choices, I would go 91-94 personally. Ex cab short bed. Although, I have had nasty thoughts about a crew cab 80's....
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Out of your choices, I would go 91-94 personally.
    I kinda of thinking that as well. I had a '94 'Burban and like the interior, plus it was fuel injected so no need to mess around with a carb.

The 91-94 have the same dash as the 88-90. They just changed the gauges or in GM speak the gages.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

73-87, classic styling, with so many aftermarket and OEM replacement parts to choose from. You can literally build one of these trucks out of catalogs from the frame up, one of the Truck shows on T.V. did it by mail order.
    Another desreable quality is the lack of way to many electronics, no computers to screw with, simple ignition that can be repaired with a few tools. Maybe they dont get mpg as good as newer trucks but electronics reliability is worth more than a few gallons of fuel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    The 91-94 have the same dash as the 88-90. They just changed the gauges or in GM speak the gages.
    Ya, that is why I don't like the '88-'90, because of the instrument cluster

I own an '89. The instrument cluster wouldn't be such a hard thing to deal with if you replaced it with a Dakota Digital dash cluster. Looks great, and even has a few more features than the stock cluster had.

Just my opinion.
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!