GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: DIY Manuals

Default DIY Manuals

Hey all. I was wondering which DIY Manual is better for working on a 2000 Silverado, Chilton, or Haynes, or is there another choice?

Thanks
    Dave

Legend
    Blog Entries

Helms manuals. They cost more - a lot more. Helms publishes the GM factory manuals for you truck. Chilton and Haynes have their place. The decision of which to buy is best determined by how long you plan to keep this truck, you skill level, and your willingness to tackle most things rather than pay someone.

In my opinion, there is no difference between Chilton or Haynes. In fact, the only difference Chilton, Haynes and Charmin is that Charmin is softer and easier to flush.....
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Thanks for the response.....I think I'll wait a while on the manual till I see how this truck works out. I've only owned it for a couple days and haven't had it checked out by my mechanic yet.

Thanks again
    Dave

Legend
    Blog Entries

This is a great site for information and there social forums are fun too. Good luck with your truck.

Now that I'm retired and living on a fixed income I'm having to do allot more work on our vehicles. Before I'd just take it to the dealer, let them deal with whatever the problem was and go on. I discovered https://www.alldatadiy.com/ and have really grown to like it. Navigation can be a bit challenging, but once you understand how to find what you are looking for the info is invaluable.

Not affiliated with them in any way, just an alternate to the printed manual and much better than most.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it!!

Dave
    2000 Silverado Ext. 4X4

I've always gone with Chilton's. For the most part they are more specific about how to break a particular part down and put it back together. This is really important for a guy like me who doesn't like taking stuff to a mechanic and doesn't like ending up with spare nuts & bolts after a job is done.
    Pete "Cujo" Clark
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L

The absolute best manual to have on your shelf is a factory service manual bar none. They can be had on ebay from $10.00 to $100.00 and cover things you will NEVER find anywhere else.

Here is one on DVD for the same price you would buy a "Children's" manual for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-SI...5a69ab&vxp=mtr
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)