GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Installing Sub in 2005 Suburban with Bose

I've tried searching to no avail. I have a 2005 Suburban LT, happens to have the Bose sound system. I installed a JL Audio AMP JX360/2 amp, running a single MTX Thunderthin 12" sub at 4ohm. The sound output is just horrible, can barely tell it is there. I think I have discovered that the reason for that is that I am tapped into the left rear door speaker, have tried both with Line out Converter, and now wired into the amps built in hi level input.

My question is, where is the best place to tap the speaker wire for input into the amp for maximum Bass output. This amp/sub combination should be very hard hitting and clear, and honestly, unless listening to some heavy bass hip hop you can't even tell it's there so I know I'm tapped into the wrong spot. Where should I tap, and should I use a line out converter to go into the amps Low Level Inputs, or should I just extend the speaker wire and use the amps built in high level input?

Any help is appreciated.

Again, sorry if it seems I should find the answer here, but I really did try searching my answer.

Sr. Mechanic

use the line converter and since its a sub it should be connected to the low level side of the amp.i know its a stupid question but have you adjusted the gain, alos dont forget to set the crossover if its got one, 80hz is a good place to start

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kburb View Post
    use the line converter and since its a sub it should be connected to the low level side of the amp.i know its a stupid question but have you adjusted the gain, alos dont forget to set the crossover if its got one, 80hz is a good place to start
    Just checked the amp out on the JL website, look like the JX took the place of their E series amps, hook the line converter the the rear speakers, set the crossover at 80hz, bridged the MTX sub to the amp and adjust the gain to bout half. Then rock on.

Part of the problem may be the BOSE system has a low/hi pass filter sytem and you are getting nothing but the highs form the door speaker...just a thought

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Legend

your line out needs to be tapped to both sides not just left, i have worked on a lot of stereos and using the lineout is just a temp solution in my opinion, just spend the money and get a new factory deck, just because you have a BOSE stereo doesnt mean its high quality, its advertising thats it, all the components are still GM AC/Delco nothing special. Just like Chrysler and its use of Infinity they still suck because they are factory components. You can use the factory speakers but I would just bypass the factory crap all together (wiring & amp), get a new head unit and run new lines to the current speakers with bass blockers, or if your aftermarket headunit lets you to tune out the bass to the speakers, as your sub and amp will be more then enough bass.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

As said above... If you have the funds after the holidays Rip out the Bose system.. You will get a cleaner sound. You could get a good 5ch Amp to redo your system..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I had the same problem with very low bass levels and gave up and bought a deck my first time around. Now that I have a 6 disc changer w/ all the steering wheel controls I wanted to keep my factory deck. You have to tap your Line Out Converter into the speaker wires (for both sides) before the signal goes through the stock bose amplifier. I just removed the center console and tapped the rear speaker wires right before they entered the amp. Once that was done my subs worked great. Hope this helps.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

I may have to disagree with almost all of you. Boggart just wants to add a subsub to the stock Bose . I did this on my 03 1500 I purchased a PAC line out converter that just plugged into the back of my stock head unit. Out came all 4channels RCA style plugs and an ign wire. No splicing at all easy work and the quality is just fine fore me. I just hooked up all the wires and tucked them away nicely. Once tuning was done I now have full control with the factory bass adjustment.