GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clear (i.e. no amber reflector) headlights for 99-06 GMC Sierra???

Has anyone seen a clear/chrome, non-smoked headlight assembly that matches this? I'm finding some on Amazon by 'eautolights' but they're always combined with fogs or corner lamps or some other muckity muck I don't need/want. That's all I seem to be able to find.

If anyone's come across some please link...

Surreal

You could always clear and paint the stock ones. I did mine and it wasn't too difficult. They are a different style, but I imagine the outcome would be the same.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    You could always clear and paint the stock ones. I did mine and it wasn't too difficult. They are a different style, but I imagine the outcome would be the same.
    I'm hoping for some halogen projectors but if I can't find any that are suitable I may go this route...

Some follow-up:
    In December and January I did a pile of research (i.e. web searches, reading of posts on many forums by those who had halogen projectors, etc.) and learned that the bulk of the halogen projectors for 99-06 trucks have only so-so performance. (Chief among the complaints of owners are beam pattern problems.) Further photo analysis of various lamp assemblies revealed that there are few differences between a set of $100.00 ebay halogen projectors and other $300.00 sets of direct-ship projectors. Projector placement, LED doo-dads, and halo mechanisms (usually LED rings) all seemed about the same; wiring quality and aiming mechanisms seemed to be the key differentiators.

Based on this I selected a set of ebay projectors so that I could keep costs low ... because I knew I might have beam issues with whatever I bought, I was willing to take time to aim my headlights, and I can usually overcome wiring issues, myself. What I selected arrived quickly but the LEDs on one side were burned out, so I had to send that side back. Receipt of a replacement assembly took a month but the vendor stood behind the product and exchanged it for free. Installation was simple but aiming took the better part of 30 minutes because the assemblies had to be removed and replaced for each adjustment I made.

Using the projectors my low beams have an excellent pattern that is longer with more acute cut-off. I'm satisfied with them. HOWEVER, my high beams are completely useless, as they are poorly shaped and, as a result, scatter light in all directions rather than directing it farther out than my low beams. The net result of this is that I have better low beam functionality at the expense of useful high beams. As my highway driving is mostly in the country and at night, my high beams are a must as they help me avoid deer. With less overall useful light at night, I'll be going back to my OEM's...

Surreal

P.S. Here's another forum member having issues with name-brand (Spec-D) projectors for his 99-06 model truck: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ight=projector
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 03-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Man, that stinks! If I'm seeing this right, those are the lights in your sig pic and they really look sweet. All that time you spent doing research and comparing, then getting them, waiting, adjusting. That is really just too bad... Really nice of you to follow up on this and make others aware of the hi beam issue. As always very informative and helpful surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    Man, that stinks! If I'm seeing this right, those are the lights in your sig pic and they really look sweet. All that time you spent doing research and comparing, then getting them, waiting, adjusting. That is really just too bad... Really nice of you to follow up on this and make others aware of the hi beam issue. As always very informative and helpful surreal.
    I think they look good, too. However, functionality trumps form. I just finished doing lens restoration on my OEM's and tomorrow night I'll crack them open, remove the amber reflector, add some LED strips, re-seal them, and let them cure for 24 hours. Wednesday night I'll trim the sealant and run another external sealing bead which I'll also let cure for 24 hours. Thursday night I'll solder some quick disconnects on to the LED wiring ends. I have off Friday and will slot the OEM's back in the truck and aim them.

This will hold me for a while...

yes surreal, your description seems to be every single issue i had and currently have with my headlights, nesides the leds because i tool precautions to ensure they would last, the high beams are completely useless and a waste even with 100W bulbs in them, no functional light at all...

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'm hoping for some halogen projectors but if I can't find any that are suitable I may go this route...
    i do have this one question though... why are you in search of HALOGEN projectors? if your staying halogen why not stay traditional reflectors? and if going full out projector why not make the best of it and opt for HID? just curious everyone has their reasons
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    i do have this one question though... why are you in search of HALOGEN projectors? if your staying halogen why not stay traditional reflectors? and if going full out projector why not make the best of it and opt for HID? just curious everyone has their reasons
    I'd have to do a retrofit to do HID properly in my truck. I can achieve the amount of light I want (safely and legally) in other ways, so I'm not willing to spend the kind of cash required for a retrofit. I'm in the middle of going back to my OEM's ... and simply customizing them. As for why I initially wanted halogen projectors ... low beam cutoff, mostly.

Surreal

P.S. I'm having my 4.56 regear done this Thursday, so I'm already bleeding cash in other areas -- the kinda cash that would pay for a retrofit if it were important enough to me. But it's not. (Unlike a retrofit, the regear will eventually pay for itself in fuel savings ... as I'll gain back some MPG.)
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 03-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.

same here debating with the oems... oems or those depos, i just hate how the oems look, although i did have HID in them for about 18 months before i got my crappers lol, and i was never flashed once witht the oem hids either
    how much exactly does a typical retrofit cost, im just curious now because you keep mentioning the price fear lol.
    and off topic, i know, but what are your current gears? im assuming your coming from a 3.73 or 4.10 to a 4.56, i think your mileage is gonna go in the opposite direction, correct me if im wrong

Retrofits run $750.00 - $1000.00 for both headlights depending on a) the components you choose and b) the retrofitter you use. This doesn't include the cost of the headlight assembly.

As for OEM -- I could go with Yukon Denali projectors like @pmf608 mentioned -- as that'd get me projectors and OEM -and- it would give me 10 extra watts of light (due to using dual 9005's instead of a 9005/9006 pair) and clear assembly covers (instead of the textured ones my stock OEMs have). However, pricing out new ones, today, it's a $350.00 admission ticket. I'll keep it under consideration but for now it's a pass.

As for gears, I'm moving from 3.73's to 4.56's. 2/3 of my driving is around town ... and that's where I'll get my mpg gains. 1/3 of my driving is highway ... and I'll lose a little mpg there when on flats ... but on hills I'll gain mpg, too, as right now the tranny downshifts to climb even mild hills. Key to my mpg gains will be the fact that I'm bringing things back to close to stock performance -- and am only regaining mpg I lost due to the lift, heavier wheels, bigger/heavier tires, etc. I've also already got the custom tune set up for 4.56's, so that'll go in the day the modification is made -- meaning no loss of mpg due to having the wrong tune in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast