GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Blower motor resistor

I have a 2005 trailblazer ext, my blower motor resistor is going bad. Does any one know where i can buy one? I called around some of the part store's and they said they don't carry them yet for my year. Called a chevy parts dealer and they want $170 dollars, does that sound right? I pulled the part down from under my dash never unplugged it, but notice rust on it. I cleaned up the rust with a piece of sand paper, turned it on and it worked but 5 did not, I could live with out 5 for a while, but laiter the next day it went out again, so I assume I need to replace it does that sound right?

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TheShamrock7 View Post
    I have a 2005 trailblazer ext, my blower motor resistor is going bad. Does any one know where i can buy one? I called around some of the part store's and they said they don't carry them yet for my year. Called a dealer and they want $170 dollars, does that sound right? I pulled the part down from under my dash never unplugged it, but notice rust on it. I cleaned up the rust with a piece of sand paper, turned it on and it worked but 5 did not, I could live with out 5 for a while, but laiter the next day it went out again, so I assume I need to replace it does that sound right?
    Yes this sounds right, and at $170.00, I think they are selling you the entire motor assy. The resistors should only be around $30. The last one I bought was from Auto Value.
    Chevrolet Trailblazer Parts
    Chevy OEM

No they aren’t just resistors anymore. It’s a printed circuit board and yes they are that expensive.

Cheaper at the parts stores by about 70 bucks if you can find one. I had to replace one on a friends 01 impala. If I remember it was around 100 buck at NAPA.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Jr. Apprentice

I can't find one anywhere, but the chevy dealer. napa it is 24.95 but they don't have any and the factory they get them from doesn't have one. I called late model salvage yards and they don't have them either. Do you think a garge that works on cars would have one and be cheaper than a dealer? Any body know where else to try? Could I add soder to it and make it work?

Jr. Apprentice

Question More Trouble

I found a dealer that had one for 50 bucks, I bought it and went to put it in and 2 wires the red and the black in the big (7 wire) harness was melted just a little through the connector and the red and black prong was burned, tried to clean it up a little and hooked up the new one but it still doesn't work. I followed that wire harness as far as I could, it goes behind the radio. I am almost positive it goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment. Where do I go from here? what is the problem?

Default Re: More Trouble.

I have a 2003 Trailblazer and am having the similar blower motor difficulties. Was able to get the resistor from the local parts store for about $28, but neither it nor the motor are the source of the problem. Looks like we have to get the vehicle wiring diagram and trace it back to the control panel. The burned red and black wires show that too much current was being drawn by the blower motor and that should be the subject of a separate investigation.

You'd think that they get this right eventually... I have a 1998 Malibu that had the same issue. The parts were 30 bucks from the local Advance Auto Parts (they were the only ones who had it)... The hardest part was getting it out...
    Chevy SUV Parts
    Last edited by 03TrailBlazer; 12-18-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Jr. Mechanic

Only place that i could find one was the local dealer. Under 30 bucks.

You guys should check and see if this is a recall item. At the very least it may you should file a complaint there.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Default same issue

I have the same issue as the guy below, my blower stopped working. Pulled out the resistor, and it looks fien, but the wiring harness coneected to it is melted to the resistor. Can i salvage the resistor and buy a wiring harness to tie in to it? Or do i need to buy a new resistor and wiring harness? Has any one bought one, i don't know if it comes with the wiring harness.
    Chevy oem

I have a 2005 trailblazer ext, my blower motor resistor is going bad. Does any one know where i can buy one? I called around some of the part store's and they said they don't carry them yet for my year. Called a dealer and they want $170 dollars, does that sound right? I pulled the part down from under my dash never unplugged it, but notice rust on it. I cleaned up the rust with a piece of sand paper, turned it on and it worked but 5 did not, I could live with out 5 for a while, but laiter the next day it went out again, so I assume I need to replace it does that sound right?[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast