GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Avalanche axle seal replace

Hi: I am Geddy6: I am a Waterwaste Water plant technician and accomplished musician. I own a 2006 Avalanche 1500.I live in Bobcaygeon Ontario Canada. The problem I am having is this. I have to replace the rear axle seal and bearing. I have taken off both rotors, drained differential oil, removed 7mm bolt that holds the retaining bolt, rotated the differential so the area that allows the "C" clips to fall out when the axle is pressed in towards the differential. When I press the axle in the"C" clips will not fall out so I can remove the axle. I noticed a block inside the differential between the spider gears. Is this to be removed also or what should I do to take the axle out? It's going down to minus six tomorrow so I would like to finish this fast. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank-you

My "C" clips came out fairly easily though they didn't just fall out. On the left side, I just used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull them out (my kid did have to push in on the flange of the axle to help it along). The right side was more difficult because my parking space where I'm working tilts a little downhill. I just tapped on the flange with a mallet and "C" clip eventually just fell out (but I worked forever trying to tease it out ... that was unsuccessful). I don't know what the "block" you're referring to is, but it sounds like the retaining bolt (though I'm sure you know what that looks like since you removed the 7mm bolt that holds it).
    Bill - Charlotte, NC (originally from Los Alamitos, CA & UC Irvine)
    I do all my own car repair and try to do it right the first time
    Owner - RLSTATE.com - a NC and SC residential & commercial real estate firm dedicated to helping buyers find the right home at the right price representation at the right time: in real estate, you MAKE MONEY when you BUY ... NOT when you sell!

Geddy, if you are still around. Do you know if you have an open diff, or do you have the G80? I know the procedure for getting the C-clips off is different on the G80. If you are still working on this, you might try getting a positive ID on the axle to make sure you are following the correct procedure.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World