GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Post Oil leak in my 2000 Silverado 1500 (Vortec 5.3) 2WD

Hi,

I am trying to chase down an oil leak in my 2000 Sliverado 1500 with the Vortec 5.3 (Vin Code "T") 2WD.

Background info:

• Transmission rebuilt at 187,000 miles and had the rear main seal replaced at that time.
    • I see minor oil build up with dust/dirt on the valve covers.
    • I have "wet" oil slightly dripping from the oil pan (mainly the front of the pan and around the oil filter)
    • The oil is not leaking enough to leave drip marks on the driveway.
    • I recently de-greased the engine and oil pan to see if I can find out where the leak is starting from. (trace fresh drips on the oil pan and valve cover)
    • I am putting about a quart of oil in it a month to keep the oil within range.

• I would like to at least replace the Valve Cover gaskets and it seams pretty easy from the top of the engine, but I am not sure all the points I need to un-clip the wiring harness so I can remove the coil pack with their bracket to get to the valve covers.
    • I was looking at the oil pan and it seems like I need to remove the cross bar of the frame to get it to drop down in this truck and the linkage on the side of the pan needs to be moved out of the way?

After replacing the above gaskets I was going to monitor it again and see if I am getting leaks any where else. I do not see any oil burning (odd color smoke) off in the exhaust or smell it.

Thank you, Jason

Oil goes DOWN and BACK from the source. Before you change gaskets indescriminately, you might wish to check your PCV system for proper operation. A loose oil filter or a crack in the filter housing can cause leaaks as well as a bad oil pressure sender. A malfunctioning PCV symptom will make a well sealed engine leak. An engine with dirty oil will cause early crankshaft mainseal failure. As you say there is no dripping, it may be the engine is consuming oil internally. Careful engine degreasing is a good start. Check your owners manual to see if it is OK to wash the engine. After spraying engine degreaser on the warm motor, and letting it cool, sometimes a pressure wash or ( don't tell the owner) car wash will remove all traces of oil, ( and a few decals ). Any white smoke after warm up could be oil. Smoking on decelleration is usually bad rings; or after idling, accelleration, is defective valve guide seals or clogged cylinder head returns.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the information, I saw another post on here about where there was a GM TSB about excessive oil consumption in trucks for my year with my engine having to do with the PCV system.

The Dealer is telling me that they can't find the TSB and they want $130 to diagnose the problem since I am out of warrenty.