GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2WD conversion to 4WD 2005 Silverado 1500

I have had been thinking about converting my truck over to 4WD. I was wondering if anyone might know the best option as far as the front diff/axle assembly that would hold up. Has there been any issues with the front bearing hub assemblies with the OE? I have already replaced one side on my 2005. What kind of reccomendations are there for the transfer case?

Thanks for any replies.

Sell it and buy a 4x4

I was wanting to do the same awhile ago to my 95 c1500, it really is not worth it, the suspension is different on 2wd and 4wd trucks, yours prob coil springs, 4wd have torsion bars, then you have to get a stock front diff, a 4wd tranny, a transfercase then all the wiring for that, you have to mess with drive shafts as well, the time to do all this would put your truck out of commission for awhile, if you dont have any problems, it would cost you alot of money to find all this unless you have a donor truck, its really just easier to buy a 4x4, and believe me i know you prob dont want to part with your truck but its much harder on paper, im just trying to save you a headache, because i was already looking for parts before i realized if be under at least 3-4 grand just my advice.

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4

6.0L v8:great: 4L80E

2.5 in Daystar leveling keys

285/75/16s BFG ATs on HD wheels

Cab lights and tool box

Well your reply is welcomed, as I figured someone like yourself had already done it. I thought there would be some good input as to why it might be an expensive, bad idea. I figured I could probably buy a 4 x 4 cheaper than converting mine. Appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BReeves View Post
    Sell it and buy a 4x4
    I don't want to sell it as I just paid it off this year. It's still a nice truck and I have taken care of it pretty good.