GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: torsion bars

Default torsion bars

Anybody have any idea why my truck is still not level after cranking the bars all the way? The front is still about half an inch lower. 2005 GMC 1500 4x4.

Blog Entries

With my truck, the front end is still slightly lower with it being "level". You could need a new set of shocks up front to help with the sag, or your torsion bars could just be a little worn. I'd suggest getting leveling keys over torquing up those bars, but that's just my opinion. Did you have it aligned afterwards?
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I did have it aligned. I'm gonna get new keys very soon. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks.

Sr. Apprentice

Ever think that the rear of your truck is 1/2" "too high"? Trucks are designed to carry a load and your truck is built to have at least 1000 lbs. in the bed and be reasonably level without a lot of sag at the rear. Raise the front and add a rear load and the front of your truck will be "too high".

Good job. I had no idea. I am just a freaking truck driving idiot. Yes, I know how trucks are designed, but I rarely ever haul anything more than an ATV or stuff to the dump. Maybe the occasional piece of furniture. So, therefore, I am not worried about the front end being too high when I might carry something that heavy, if ever. I want it to sit level for the time I don't haul anything, which is 95% of my driving.