GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - AWD Review

The latest GM SUV that I tested for review was the 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. For me, there was only one word to describe it ... WOW.

The Truck
    · 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - AWD
    · MSRP: $55,505

What's it like to drive?
    There is nothing like climbing into one of these Yukon XL's with the Denali package. It's simply a smooth vehicle with world-class charm that will set you apart from that pack.

For starters, it’s perhaps the most comfortable and quiet large SUV that I’ve ever been in. You step up into something that’s solid and looks like a high class office building … turned into a SUV.

We took this Yukon XL Denali on an 800 mile round trip from Dallas, TX to Jackson, MS and honestly it felt like a 2 hour trip in the country instead of 8 hours each way. The interior is luxurious, comfy and you never run out of things to watch or listen to with the built-in DVD system and XM satellite radion.

What’s it like to sit in?
    The seats are comfortable, as you would expect from high quality 12-pt power leather seats. Even the lumbar is power and you can feel it. The gauges are clear and easy to read if the lights are on, you may struggle a bit if you’re wearing sunglasses however. While driving it feels like you’re the captain of an airliner as you have access to onboard information from the DriversInformationCenter such as tire pressure, transmission temp and average fuel use.

I had plenty of room to place my gadgets, from cell phone to pocket razor, it all fit nicely in the large center console. There is even a 12v DV outlet inside the console so you can charge your cell phone while keeping it out of view! What a good idea.

(Big and tall observation) The sunroof can be a slight challenge to drivers who are over 6’2” and/or have a bit of junk in the trunk (makes you sit higher). I found that I had to drop the seat all the way down and recline backwards about 20 degrees just so my head wasn’t in contact with the ceiling. This made it a bit more uncomfortable for my son who was sitting right behind me (carseat attached to the 2nd row bucket seats). He just kicked my chair a few times to let me know he was there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great sunroof and everyone enjoyed getting some sun into the car from time to time.

I also had a bit of work finding a place to put my size 13 left foot, as I think the parking brake could go up a bit more to have a better place to stick it. That’s it, those are my only two complaints.

Toys and Gadgets
    Ok, I am HOOKED on XM and find the built-in GM Factory BOSE touch-screen system to be the way to go ($2000 option mind you). The GPS navigation system with point-to-point directions might have something to do with the enjoyment of the trip as well. We simply selected our destination address and it calculated the route for us. Very nice.

You’ll feel in power while scrolling though the Driver Information Center (DIC) options too. Everything from tire pressure to transmission temp is at your fingertips. Also, your average fuel use (MPG) and estimated mileage left keeps you from having to do that pesky math while going down the road.

I may never be happy with a vehicle again that doesn’t have park assit and/or a rear-view camera! How much more peace of mind do you need when driving a big Yukon XL than to have it beep when you’re about to hit something (or God-forbid – someone)? I found that backing it up to my garage door was extremely easy with a combination of the rear-view camera and the park assist. Very nice features GM, thank you!

Overall Impression?
    This is a world-class A+ vehicle that is worth of being compared to any vehicle in its class.

Some Noteable Standard Equipment

Engine
    - Vortec 6200 V8 SFI Engine
    - 6-Spd Auto Transmission

Mechanical
    - All wheel drive
    - Autoride suspension
    - Self-leveling rear shocks
    - Differential, Locking rear

Safety
    - Dual front airbags, side head curtain airbags
    - 4 wheel disc antilock brakes
    - Stabilitrak stability control
    - Ultrasonic rear park assist
    - Tire pressure monitoring

Exterior
    - Running boards
    - Power liftgate & liftglass
    - Power Folding Mirrors
    - Rain sensing wipers
    - Heated washer fluid system

Interior
    - Front leather 12-point power bucket seats
    - Second row leather heated seats
    - 3-passanger third row seat
    - Bose XM compatible AM/FM/MP3 6-CD changer centerpoint surround sound
    - DriverInformationCenter

Options on Test Vehicle
    - Upgraded stereo to DVD w/ onscreen navigation
    - 20" Chrome Aluminum Wheels
    - Rear-seat entertainment system
    - Power Sliding Sunroof
    - Rearview Camera System
    - Heated Steering Wheel

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

More photos

Parking in Jackson, MS after arriving at our destination

Taking a troop of kids to the park! No worry about interior space -- but it's big when parking, leave lots of room to get out.

Remember, it's only one button-press away from opening!

Does it get any better for an interior? Watch out for the kiddo's crumbs though.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today