GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Suburban vs Tahoe vs Traverse ~ What's the most practical overall?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suburban is the most useful regardless of gas prices

15 65.22%
  • Tahoe offers the best mix of size and space

6 26.09%
  • Traverse is more car-like but can still carry seven

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well look at it this way. What do YOU need it for? What are you Towing or Hauling? Is it going to be a everyday car/Truck? I have a friend that was also looking between the Tahoe and Sub and he got a New Avalanche and loves it. He has 3 kids and 2 dogs. And sometimes takes his ATV to some trails...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I think the comments about bias in this forum are probably true - so I will continue it!
    I love my Suburbans - my 99 K2500 w/350 gets good mileage and hauls everything. My wife's 02 C2500 6L gets a little less, but she drives more. Each are 9 seaters, usually full, and still room for gear. We are a family of seven, and the 'little ones' are getting bigger every day.
    The Tahoe is 2 foot shorter, so why bother. My wife liked the Traverse (pronounced Trav-ers, as in City) when they came out. We took the kids with us to look at one, and left two standing in the lot. Oh, well.
    And then there's the prices. Like was asked before; are you looking at new, or gently used?

Bartender! Burban - straight up!

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

I would go with the Suburban. I'm a dealer exchange driver for a large auto dealership in Hampto Roads. I've driven the three vehicles mentioned. The gas milage is minimal between the three. For overall comfort and room without sacrificing milage, go with the Suburban. My wife was looking for a vehicle to replace her 07 Suburban, so I looked at the three vehicles. When I replace hers, I will most likely get another Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    You can get a 2004-under 100,000 miles- for maybe $9000 now-hard to beat that-
    Charlie
    I wish I looked in your area when I bought my 03 yukon xl with 130,000 for $10000 six months ago. That was a heck of a deal here.
    My wife and I looked at a traverse. Then my sister bought one, She has 2 infant children. My mom, sister, her 2 kids, and my wife with our infant went to a baby shower in the traverse. There was no room in that thing. The way the roof cuts in on the sides makes it feel tighter. The cargo space behind the rear seat was terrible. My wife's 40 minute ride in it made the decision for us. There was no way we where putting our 2 kids and 2 dogs in that thing for our 3 hour road trips to Cleveland. I would not trade my yukon for a smaller vehicle and thats with only 2 kids and 2 large Dogs.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I wish I looked in your area when I bought my 03 yukon xl with 130,000 for $10000 six months ago. That was a heck of a deal here.
    My wife and I looked at a traverse. Then my sister bought one, She has 2 infant children. My mom, sister, her 2 kids, and my wife with our infant went to a baby shower in the traverse. There was no room in that thing. The way the roof cuts in on the sides makes it feel tighter. The cargo space behind the rear seat was terrible. My wife's 40 minute ride in it made the decision for us. There was no way we where putting our 2 kids and 2 dogs in that thing for our 3 hour road trips to Cleveland. I would not trade my yukon for a smaller vehicle and thats with only 2 kids and 2 large Dogs.
    Yeah no kidding, I bought my 04 Suburban LT with 112K miles on it just a couple of months ago for 12K, but I did trade in two other vehicles for it, I think as a rule you pay a higher price when you trade, but I am happy, I got one vehicle that does the work of two, and cut my insurance bill in half!!
    Terry

My mom has had 2 Acadia's, GMC's version of the Traverse, I borrowed the 08 she had for a trip with a total of 6 adults and about 100 miles. I was glad I had the car a day before the trip as it took me the whole day to adjust to how it handles and and to get comfortable with it. We had to put some of our luggage between the center row buckets because there was not enough room behind the third row seats. I am glad that when I was growing up she didn't have one of these, 6 kids would be so crowded in one. I really don't understand the point of a Tahoe, except to rob sales from the Suburban, the price, gas mileage, and comfort is about the same, so why not just buy the extra 2 feet. Though the Suburban is not the same vehicle it was in 1990, I would go with a Suburban over the other options. Small SUVs have their purpose, we have a Ford Escape, 4wd, great for getting my wife to and from work in 2 feet of snow and grociery shopping, but when we go any distance or go to Menards we always take the Suburban.
    \

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12