GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default MPG 2011 2500HD with 6.0L vortec gas engine?

    I was looking at buying a used 2011 Sierra 2500HD 4X4, equipped with the 6.0L vortec gas engine. What could I expect for mpg in city driving with this truck? How does it compare to the 5.3 in 1500 series? Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default

    So from someone who as owned both, I had a 2009 with a 5.3 and currently have the 2011 Crew Cab 4x4. The reason I picked up the 2500HD was pulling a 31foot travel trailer. Had I of not needed the extra capacity I would have stayed with the 1500. The 1500 had 3.42 gears and the 2500 has 3.73 gears, and actually my 2007 NBS 1500 had 3.73 and a 4 speed and I didn't notice any great difference in mileage between the 2 1500s I had. I ended up getting 22 and managed to squeeze almost 24 once on a a 4 lane highway with the cruise on at about 58 mph. But realistically who does that speed, I just wanted to see what it could do. Bone stock.

    So my iphone tells me that so far it gets 13 mpg for the last 12000miles (and i presume that is US gallons per mile) and that is combined with summer towing. When I did a 600 mile trip with no trailer this past May I managed 16.5 mpg doing about 60- 65 mph. Not bad for a 2500hd truck. The right foot is the biggest factor with the 2500HD.

    Any questions let me know.

  3. #3
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jake's silverado View Post
    So from someone who as owned both, I had a 2009 with a 5.3 and currently have the 2011 Crew Cab 4x4. The reason I picked up the 2500HD was pulling a 31foot travel trailer. Had I of not needed the extra capacity I would have stayed with the 1500. The 1500 had 3.42 gears and the 2500 has 3.73 gears, and actually my 2007 NBS 1500 had 3.73 and a 4 speed and I didn't notice any great difference in mileage between the 2 1500s I had. I ended up getting 22 and managed to squeeze almost 24 once on a a 4 lane highway with the cruise on at about 58 mph. But realistically who does that speed, I just wanted to see what it could do. Bone stock.

    So my iphone tells me that so far it gets 13 mpg for the last 12000miles (and i presume that is US gallons per mile) and that is combined with summer towing. When I did a 600 mile trip with no trailer this past May I managed 16.5 mpg doing about 60- 65 mph. Not bad for a 2500hd truck. The right foot is the biggest factor with the 2500HD.

    Any questions let me know.
    Thank you for the reply. I greatly appreciate it.

    I currently have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L engine and old 4 speed automatic. Truck has been good but it's getting up there in mileage and the repairs are starting to add up. So, I figured I might want to look for something new or slightly used. In the city, which is where I do 80% of my driving, I get 20-22L/100 km. I think that's about 11-12 mpg. I wanted to improve this on my next truck.

    I really love the looks of the new 2500HD series that came out this year but I don't think I'm going to see much of an improvement in my fuel economy based on what you've told me from your experiences. The 1500s seem pretty good too. The 4.8/4 speed is a nice combo but it seems outdated. The 5.3/6 speed seems to be the best bet but some people seem to be getting way less than what's advertised in terms of mpg.

    I've looked at the Ford F150 and Dodge Ram too. They seem to be more modern that the current 1500 Sierra. I'm not sure about build quality though. They are cheaper in price however.

    I also have read that GM is bringing out a new 1500 Sierra next year. Maybe I should wait for that one to see what type of improvements they've made in fuel economy.

    Tough decisions.

  4. #4

    Default

    JD I shpould of looked and seen you are just to the west of me! I drive from oshawa to Bowmanville daily for work with it and if I baby it I can do 15L/100, as I said this truck responds well to light right foot. However to heavy and 18-20L/100 is easily achieved!

    I love the truck and it pulls 9000lbs like a dream. I thought I heard a redesign is coming for 2013 but I think it was just a rumor!

    So here is the thing with 4.8 and the 4speed. Repair wise the 4 speed would be cheaper than the new 6 speed and the repairs on the 4.8 would be cheaper than the 5.3 with the cylinder deactivation (once out of warranty in 160000kms). There is a place out here that tunes these in Courtice...
    Well good luck!

  5. #5
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jake's silverado View Post
    JD I shpould of looked and seen you are just to the west of me! I drive from oshawa to Bowmanville daily for work with it and if I baby it I can do 15L/100, as I said this truck responds well to light right foot. However to heavy and 18-20L/100 is easily achieved!

    I love the truck and it pulls 9000lbs like a dream. I thought I heard a redesign is coming for 2013 but I think it was just a rumor!

    So here is the thing with 4.8 and the 4speed. Repair wise the 4 speed would be cheaper than the new 6 speed and the repairs on the 4.8 would be cheaper than the 5.3 with the cylinder deactivation (once out of warranty in 160000kms). There is a place out here that tunes these in Courtice...
    Well good luck!
    Thanks for the response. Nice to see that we are neighbours. I've been out to a few GM dealers the last month or so to look at trucks. Gus Brown GMC is where I was last.

    Here's a link to news about the new 1500 design:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...trucks-106048/

    Have you had a chance to drive the 4.8/4 speed combo? What does it give for fuel economy?

  6. #6

    Default

    I have 2 guys at work that have them I will ask when I see them next week. I want to say combined 11L/100 but I may be lying! So if you want the details on my deal on a new one PM me and I will give you the info. I dealt out at Quantrill Chev in Port Hope. Laura was the rep! Great to deal with and well worth the drive.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd4 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Nice to see that we are neighbours. I've been out to a few GM dealers the last month or so to look at trucks. Gus Brown GMC is where I was last.

    Here's a link to news about the new 1500 design:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...trucks-106048/

    Have you had a chance to drive the 4.8/4 speed combo? What does it give for fuel economy?
    I had a 2009 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 4.8 and 4 speed. I could get around 15-16 L/100km in the city...best I got on the highway was 12L/100km and it was going no faster than 100km/hr...it was good on gas for a truck...should have never sold it.

  8. #8

    Default

    The OP has a #2500 and should be a 6 spd he should get 17-18 hwy empty and if he has a 39 ft fifth wheel get about 11 hwy.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redvett View Post
    The OP has a #2500 and should be a 6 spd he should get 17-18 hwy empty and if he has a 39 ft fifth wheel get about 11 hwy.
    I had one for the day yesterday. It was a 2012 Silverado 6.0 6 speed, extended cab/long box 4x4. In a mix of highway and city driving with a relatively light foot (for the most part because that 6.0 loves to scream if you push it) and I got 16 L/100 km or about 15 mpg (US mpg)...imperial MPG was a little over 17. I thought it was pretty good and had lots of power.

  10. #10

    Default

    I have a new body style Vortec Max 6.0L crew cab 2wd with the 4L65E with 3.73 gears and get 15 mpg in city driving. My cousin has a 4.8L crew cab and gets 13-15 in town.

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 2500HD vs 2011 2500HD
    By newowner13 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 02:29 AM
  2. 2011 2500HD vs 2011 3500HD
    By newowner13 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 01:59 AM
  3. 09 2500HD Vortec bent valve
    By RussellFidel in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
  4. get more HP from a Vortec 350 engine!
    By Richard Vortec350 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
  5. Need vortec 350 engine
    By stokely327 in forum General Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •