GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

do what i do. grease every zert fitting on the truck that you can find. jack up the truck in back and spin tires in neutral and then start truck on jackstands and put it in drive. let the tires spin. you should find that squeek that way. its how i found a grinding noise on my stang.

I have a full car lift that i put it on and the it has jacks that pick the truck of the lift and i had a friend put it in gear and i sat under it while i was in gear didn't hear anything put it on the ground and does it again. Guessing it has to do with the weight and friction of the road that makes it squeak.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Hi, MTM:

Boy, lots of good information in this thread. I think everyone on the forum should read this thread. I like particularly what tbplus10 said in the first post. Kinda my way of thinking, but I have probably been around a little longer than most members here, and in the "old days" we may have used slightly different methods. But I also change out all the joints in the shaft at once for cost of labor reasons. The joints don't cost that much. When in doubt, I replace.

I tell you, guy, you said that the noise does not change with speed. That is a bit baffling to me. Shaft speed changes, so should at least the pitch of the squeal or squeak. I don't doubt your ear, but are you sure this is coming from the drive shaft and not something else? If you feel it is one of the joints, you might save some more time consumed on this by just replacing one or both joints, see if the noise goes away, if you can't find another problem.

How many miles on those joints?
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

No i'm no positive that's why a named the thread possible u-joint problems. I wish i could pin point it better but just cant seem to locate it.I've had the truck since it's had 88,000 miles and it has 111,000 no and i never replaced them

It's hard to get real help for this type of problem via the internet. None of us can get in and ride in your truck, hear the issue. If you do get this resolved and find out for sure what it is, please post an update here for us. Tough problem, for sure.

Will do i'll keep after it

as others have said, u-joints are cheap, I'd suggest taking driveshaft to a good driveshaft shop, change u-joints and balance. should be able to get it all done for 150 or less, and worth it to make sure that's not the problem.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

might be a balance issue in the shaft itself, bent it slightly?

something to check, more spit balling here then anything.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    as others have said, u-joints are cheap, I'd suggest taking driveshaft to a good driveshaft shop, change u-joints and balance. should be able to get it all done for 150 or less, and worth it to make sure that's not the problem.
    \

That's a big 10-4 and AMEN, brother!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12