GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Stabilitrak

  1. #1

    Default Stabilitrak

    I Want to lift my truck but it has the Stabilitrak on it, is there any concerns that I have to look for when ordering a lift for it. Was looking at the rancho 4" kit or a zone offroad 4.5
    2010 silverado LT 5.3l z714x4 blue granite metallic
    Diablo Trinity-Airaid Intake-Flowmaster Delta 40 1into2 out back

  2. #2
    Jr. Mechanic djthumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Stabilitrak isn't something to worry too much about with a lift. You will want to disable it when you are in 4-hi it is automatically disabled when you are in 4-low.
    2006 Trailblazer 4X4, 2.5" lift, Z71 rear springs, Skyjacker rear shocks
    Larry- KC7QJO

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djthumper View Post
    Stabilitrak isn't something to worry too much about with a lift. You will want to disable it when you are in 4-hi it is automatically disabled when you are in 4-low.
    It probably has a fuse. You could likely permanently disable it by removing the fuse so that you need not remember to do so in 4-Hi.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    It probably has a fuse. You could likely permanently disable it by removing the fuse so that you need not remember to do so in 4-Hi.
    Newer trucks have a disable button on the dash so it's as easy as reaching over and pushing the button to disable, no need to pull the fuse and it'll still be active in 2wd.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Newer trucks have a disable button on the dash so it's as easy as reaching over and pushing the button to disable, no need to pull the fuse and it'll still be active in 2wd.
    Out of curiosity, does that switch allow one to turn off stabilitrak and leave it off indefinitely? I ask because I presumed it was like most modern vehicular traction control systems which require drivers to turn them off each time the vehicle has been started. This is usually for legal/liability reasons. I'd be surprised if the switch of which you speak allows stabilitrak to be indefinitely disabled, but if (and only if) it does then you're right that there'd be no need to yank the fuse to avoid remembering to disable stabilitrak in 4-Hi.

    Please advise.

    Surreal

  6. #6

    Default

    Yea every time you start the vehicle you have to turn Stabilitrac off again.
    But since the switch is a two wire switch (I pulled the panel on mine and checked out the switch and connections the other day) I'm willing to bet an enterprising mechanic could set it up so that the system didnt power upo on start but had to be turned on by the switch.
    But theres no real reason to turn Stabilitrac off in 2wd so just leaving it as is probably works best.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Yea every time you start the vehicle you have to turn Stabilitrac off again.
    But since the switch is a two wire switch (I pulled the panel on mine and checked out the switch and connections the other day) I'm willing to bet an enterprising mechanic could set it up so that the system didnt power upo on start but had to be turned on by the switch.
    But theres no real reason to turn Stabilitrac off in 2wd so just leaving it as is probably works best.
    Thanks, I'm glad you clarified that. This means that fuse removal might be appropriate for someone who wants to disable the system once and not have to bother remembering to disable it when switching into 4-Hi.

    Some people don't like having to remember to turn things off under certain circumstances -- for fear they might forget. I'm not like that, but my dad, for example, has become that way in his older age. This kind of audience ... which for whatever reason wants to disable it once and not have to bother with it, again, because they feel that's what's best for themselves and their needs ... is the group my fuse suggestion was aimed at.

    Now the question is ... is there a fuse for it? I don't have stabilitrak so I can't say, but I'd expect there to be one. It'd be good to know if there is one and, if so, whether it's in-cab or under hood.

    Surreal
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 01-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Jr. Mechanic djthumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I am sure there is a way to disable it. But it isn't something you want disabled on the road since if you are in an accident and it is found to be disabled your insurance company is not required to pay out.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djthumper View Post
    I am sure there is a way to disable it. But it isn't something you want disabled on the road since if you are in an accident and it is found to be disabled your insurance company is not required to pay out.
    Now there's an interesting note that begs the question of why there's a button to disable it in the cab, at all? People should likely check with their insurance carriers to be sure...

  10. #10

    Default

    But if the system works correctly and was only turned off by the switch they could never prove if it was on or off at the time of an accident since it cycles with the engine.
    Not sure why your insurance would tell you they wont payout if your involved in an accident if found to be not using the stabilitrac, it isnt a law requiring use and under Federal insurance codes it's illegal to deny insurance claims over use of an optional vehicle safety device, which since it has an on/off switch Stabilitrac is considered optional.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. G80 Locking Diff. and Stabilitrak Question
    By atxhookem in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 4
    Last: 09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  2. help with stabilitrak/hard shift issue
    By XS ive in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 0
    Last: 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM
  3. 2010 Stabilitrak problem
    By rusLA in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last: 10-14-2010, 07:52 AM
  4. Lift kit with stabilitrak?
    By Greg84 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last: 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
  5. Stabilitrak and ABS light on [Expired Topic]
    By obermarks in forum Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)
    Replies: 0
    Last: 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •