GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navigation Systems: OEM or after market?

Ok, so I've got the new truck, and I love it. But of course, like any other truck I'm compiling my list of things I want to do to upgrade it. One of the things on my list is to add a navigation system. From what I have read, the existing radio in my 08 Silverado LT can be switched out with an after market double DIN system so that I can have a flush in dash system.

So, for those of you that have nav, did you go with OEM or after market? Why and why not? What did you put in, and what do you like/not like about it?

Thanks!
    Matt

Legend

Blog Entries

When it comes to navigation, I will say I prefer a portable model for 2 reasons. A portable will cost about a 5th of an In-dash model with all the same features or in most cases more. The portables are also upgradeable. Most of the new models come with lifetime map and live traffic upgrades, while the in-dash models in most cases are what they are at the time of installation. Very few in-dash models offer any type of upgrades.
    Last edited by Red Z71 Max; 12-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

^X2 if your just looking for navigation get yourself a Garmin GPS. It's way cheaper and you don't have to rip your dash apart to install it.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

I went with Kenwoods DNX 6180. I didnt want a nav. system dependent on a disc. The garman mapping, bluetooth, Ipod/Iphone controls all work great. One of these days i will get the rear cameraClick image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	1459 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	33010
    2007 Suburban 2500 Edge evolution CS leveled 265 goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade Kenwood DNX6180 Nav.Radio

OH Goody, another Pickem up truck dripping with Chrome Crap!

Some of the models now can be updated using SD cards so it is something to consider. I have a portable GPS, but I have to admit, after having the touch screen in dash on the car I just traded, I've gotten spoiled.

Hey marko, how do you update your maps on that model?
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by medicmatt View Post
    Some of the models now can be updated using SD cards so it is something to consider. I have a portable GPS, but I have to admit, after having the touch screen in dash on the car I just traded, I've gotten spoiled.

From what i read, you update the same way by going to garmin and using an SD card. The only reason i'm not sure is because mine was just installed the week before black friday. I dont know the date of mfg. of my unit if it matters, however it seems to be up to date as is. It pulls up Newly named streets in a subdivision near my house and i havent updated mine so far
    2007 Suburban 2500 Edge evolution CS leveled 265 goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade Kenwood DNX6180 Nav.Radio

OH Goody, another Pickem up truck dripping with Chrome Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by medicmatt View Post

I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX6960. GPS in it is Garmin. You can upgrade it from a micro SD card or from a USB drive. I flashed it to the latest firmware and the latest free Garmin update for it and have yet to need to upgrade it for maps in the triangle area. (The new toll portion of 147 coming out of Durham likely isn't on it...) I'm very pleased with the unit.

Cool. Might have to meet up with you sometime and check out your system.
    Matt

Legend

Blog Entries

Its good to know the new in dash models are beimg made upgradable. That makes more sense!!!!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX6960. GPS in it is Garmin. You can upgrade it from a micro SD card or from a USB drive. I flashed it to the latest firmware and the latest free Garmin update for it and have yet to need to upgrade it for maps in the triangle area. (The new toll portion of 147 coming out of Durham likely isn't on it...) I'm very pleased with the unit.
    Hey surr, how do you like that kenwoos, I just ordered one, was the install easy??
    Mike (MA)-2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 Vortech V8 Ext. Cab LT Z71 Offroad Package- 20" Black XD Monsters wrapped with 285 Nitto Terra Graplers, K&N CAI, Custom Magnaflow Dual Out Exhaust, Diablo InTune Programmer, Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit, Black bow ties, Black nerf bars, GM Bed Liner, Tint,Blacked out tail lights, Tonneau cover, Kenwood Excelon In-Dash Nav
    [/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast