GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for some opinions on a truck I found

Sorry guys I do not have any pictures but I have seen pictures of it myself. It is a 1997 Black K1500 Silverado with the Vortec 350 in it and a tan leather interior and Z71 package. It comes with a tonneau cover and a hitch. No rust anywhere except a small spot underneath the hood which I will sand down and paint (so it doesn't end up like the rocker panel in my picture). The truck is very very clean. It was owned by a mechanic who was also somewhat of a classic car collector. All his cars have low mileage and are all spotless (he has 8 I think). Here is the best part; it only has 32,000 miles and the woman is asking $4500. I think I might be able to get it for less but either way I think $4500 is a damn good price. The only downside is it has been sitting for 5 years so the gas is going to be stale. It is fuel injected so I don't think I need to replace the old gas with new gas, but I do know there will be things on there that might need replacing (plugs, wires maybe fuel filter and battery). I'm going to look at it Saturday morning, what do you guys think?

Legend

Blog Entries

It sounds like a great truck. Some pictures would be nice

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Price is right- buy it if nothing wrong jumps out at you.

Why is it so cheap?
    Sometimes too cheap is a warning sign.
    Ask seller "why so cheap"
    He is a mechanic-so he KNOWS what things sell for.
    Make sure you test drive it-yes it might run bad with the old gas.
    Why did it sit for 5 years?? Mechanic let it sit for 5 years?
    Even if it has some problems-low miles and low price mean buy it
    Charlie
    PS like has been said-change every liquid immediately
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I don't think $4500 is a good price for a truck that is 15 years old, but the mileage is low. It's surely not collectable at that vintage, but on the other hand it has a lot of mileage left in it. Bottom line, if you like that year and body style, make your own decision. i have a '96 x-cab sitting in my back yard for the last 4 years with a bad 4l60E I didn't think was worth $1000 or I would have sold it a long time ago.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

In the Midwest-folks love 4x4- a not rust bucket 4X4 GM 1/2 TON -sells for good $$.Slightly better than it would sell for in Louisiana.
    This assumes nothing is obviously wrong with it.
    Your "runs good when running" truck is not worth much. Heck it can't even be test driven-$1000 on a GOOD DAY!
    Bet it doesn't have 40,000 miles on it or you would have had the trans rebuilt(probably 175,000 miles considering the dead trans).
    $4500 for a 40,000 mile 4x4-great deal most places(I would look carefully for rust of course-he is in the land of the rust bucket)
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Price is right- buy it if nothing wrong jumps out at you.

Why is it so cheap?
    Sometimes too cheap is a warning sign.
    Ask seller "why so cheap"
    He is a mechanic-so he KNOWS what things sell for.
    Make sure you test drive it-yes it might run bad with the old gas.
    Why did it sit for 5 years?? Mechanic let it sit for 5 years?
    Even if it has some problems-low miles and low price mean buy it
    Charlie
    PS like has been said-change every liquid immediately

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that the man who was a mechanic suddenly passed away 5 years ago and his wife is selling the cars now. He did keep all his cars in tip top shape when he was still around though. That is why the truck has not moved for 5 years. A guy I work with is doing all the selling for her and he has seen it. I do not want this car for a collection or anything I just love 90's GM trucks. I have one but its a 4x2 with 126,000 miles and a TBI 305 and the rocker panels are gone due to rust. We have owned it since new in '94. I use it for a small lawn care business I have and I was thinking about getting into plowing too and that is why this z71 interested me and to find one in Chicago (where salt is used on the streets generously) that old with basically no rust at all is very difficult. Also it is the more powerful vortec 350. Although it is such a beautiful truck so I don't know if I would want to put a plow on it haha.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

The only reason the guy ever bought this truck was to haul his 11 second Grand National to the drag strip. He also has a '67 Buick GS, '77 Buick Century, '83 Camaro (305), '85 Jeep Wrangler, '87 Blazer, 90 something Cavalier, '01 Wrangler. He also has a garage full of spare parts for all these cars. All cars are in great shape except the Cav and Blazer which were used as daily drivers since bought. KBB valued this truck at about $8000, and in these times we all know nobody is going to buy a used truck for that price. Everybody wants a fuel efficient car, but I need one I can drive to work and school but also use for work in the summers with my lawn care business. I have been looking for trucks for about a year now and seen some with 170,000 miles for $4000, 200,000 miles for $2500 and all kinds of other rust buckets that guys were trying to make a good buck off of so this seems like a great deal to me.

I love those trucks. I'd buy it. Even if it took some work, like my truck did. Right now I'm looking for a 92-94 GMC 4x2 to fix up for a every other day driver.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

[QUOTE=phoebeisis; Your "runs good when running" truck is not worth much. Heck it can't even be test driven-$1000 on a GOOD DAY!
    Bet it doesn't have 40,000 miles on it or you would have had the trans rebuilt(probably 175,000 miles considering the dead trans).
    $4500 for a 40,000 mile 4x4-great deal most places(I would look carefully for rust of course-he is in the land of the rust bucket)
    Charlie[/QUOTE]

I have no idea where you came up with the "runs good when running" quote, but at least we got the benefit of your opinion. The third/4th drum got intermittent so I bought a new 2007 Silverado Extended cab with the towing package, 3:73 gears, 315 HP and the G-80 diff in 2007 that's why it is sitting there. It runs really good and has no dents or rust. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it as I have a 2007 and a 1985 pick-ups that are totally roadworthy. That being said, Some people are 4x4 fanatics, and that's their game, but not mine. I don't get my jollies getting stuck in the woods, but 4x4 does have advantages in the 2 or 3 snow days we get here in the Northeast, which makes it worth carrying the extra 500 pounds of chassis weight around the other 362 days, along with the differentials and transfer cases that are constantly wearing. In Illinois, where I had the bad fortune of spending one winter, it is a wiser investment.
    My son-in-law has a Chevy 4x4 he bought from a relative in Chicago, as a matter of fact, and it's a bucket of rust. I had to fill the cab sides on both sides to get the body through state inspection. Of course that doesn't mean ALL trucks from Chicago of that vintage will be rusted out, because I don't jump to erronious conclusions with inadequate information.
    If you are going to test drive it, I think you should remove any gasoline and put in fresh first if it's 5 years old, and perhaps a can of Seafoam, to keep from contaminating the injection system.
    Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by billnorman; 12-31-2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: misspell

Yea I am just tired of getting stuck on flat ground on a small patch of ice or wet grass because I have an open diff. Plus I love the look of these trucks of the 90's and I have made peace with the fact that I will probably not be able to afford a nice new GMC 2500 4x4 for years to come haha. From what I am told the truck hardly has any gas in the tank which is a good thing. Hopefully the battery will take a charge, it's at least 5 years old, probably more and it has been connected all these years so I know its going to be dead. By the way BillNorman how is that G-80? Is it always engaged or does it only kick in when you start to slip? I can imagine that would be difficult to tow with if it is always engaged.
    1994 C1500 Ext. Cab Silverado
    305 TBI 126,000 Miles

Buy American

The locking rear is a locker not a posi and has zero slip, which can be felt on dry pavement if you make a sharp turn when it's locked from one wheel slipping. The wheels will skip a bit if you make a U-turn. After the wheel speed hits 25MPH it opens again mechanically. Don't hammer it when locked because it will just unlock. 4X4 still beats it easily in mud or snow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast