GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can't comment on the Z71, but I've got an 08 Silverado 4x4 with the stock 20's on it. No problems at all.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    The Z71 Won't make a difference on the wheels you are able to run - the physical clearances are all the same as the normal suspension, its just stiffer. It's because of the stiffer suspension that GM won't give it 20's - they also make the ride stiffer and people would complain. And since the Z71 is an 'off road' package, it needs the extra sidewall in the tire from the factory in case people do take it off roading. I run 20's on my 2003 Z71 Avalanche and had them on my 2001 non-Z71 silverado before it and have never had a problem on either.
    Like Peter mentions the ride quality of a stiffer suspension and bigger wheels/tires would be of concern to many truck owners.
    Almost every set of 20" tires made have a lot less sidewall than any other size tires, unless your running low profile tires, this lack of sidewall equates to ride quality, low profile tires suffer from less sidewall flex than normal size tires and this makes their ride stiffer.
    This was a common knowledge issue years ago that if you went to low profile the ride quality got worse, new tire technology and softer suspensions have made this less of a problem than it used to be but the problem still exists.
    Most people arent aware of the fact that tires are a part of the suspension that determines ride quality.

Sr. Apprentice

they will fit just need less sidewall my 2011 avalanche is running 275/65/20 non Z71 and the only thing I did was a 2.5" leveling kit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12