GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default 1998 Suburban-C1500- How many grease fittings does it have-found 8.

I just lubed my 1998 Suburban C-1500.
    How many grease fittings are there-I found 8-all in the front-steering.
    It has been so long since I greased anything- maybe 25 years
    Are there any fittings in the rear on a 2wd??
    Waay back when seems like there were even fittings on U- joints maybe?? Don't know exactly how that was managed-maybe memory is tricking me.

It has 218,000 miles-so these probably aren't original ball joints.I've had it 5 years 22000 miles
    Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

there are grease points at the u joints as well as the wheel bearings and on the suspension components and indipendent suspension bearings.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Conlan
    Thanks.
    I probably lubed the IFS I think-close to the wheels- maybe there is also a fitting inboard where the IFS is attached inboard more or less under the middle of the engine bay.
    Wow- just looked at the driveshaft- sucker must be 6 feet long- 6" in diameter-couldn't see any grease fittings but maybe they are topside-I need to drive up a few inches to see the other side.
    Thanks-great forum.
    Charlie
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.

there is a grease fitting on the drive shaft in the middle of the shaft about.

I was wondering the same thing the last time I lubed the truck. I kept finding more and more fittings, it was like an easter egg hunt!
    I like you.

theres alot of them every where and theres even more on the 4wd trucks its intense i have a diagram for the grease points in a repair manual its really helpful.

Legend

Conlan
    Thanks-I steered you wrong sayinf my drive shaft was 9 feet long- just measured it-6 feet.You probably thought 9 feet meant a 2 piece one with a zerk fitting in the middle- it is one very long looking one piece- but "just" 6 feet long

Buddy tells me I should find maybe 11-on my 2wd-the odd single is near the steering arm-Pittman?? arm.
    He thinks I might not have one on the U- joints if they haven't been replaced-says sometimes the U-joints have a plug?? where you can put a grease fitting??
    Might have gotten this wrong of course.
    Never would have figured 8 fittings and still hunting up more.

I'm broke-hence the 218,000 $2900 Suburban(lucked out on this vehicle-the only good economic luck we've the last 6 years-even wife loves it,well loves traveling in it-not so much driving it-worlds greatest travel vehicle)

Janik-yeah VERY GREASY GRUNGY FILTHY Easter eggs that I hope I don't get on the brake disc!!
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.