GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Clicking (flasher like) sound from my 99 Chevy steering column

I have a 1999 Chevy Ext cab with a 5.3 and automatic. Its making a clicking noise, almost like the sound of my four way flashers but louder and faster. I'm not sure what it is. It hasn't affected the way it runs that I have noticed. My emergency brake light and the ABS light usually come on after driving it for a few miles or sometimes instantly and sometimes won't come on during a short trip. Has anyone experienced this with their Chevy and if so how did you repair it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

i would first check your fuses make sure none are blow. also are your brakes feeling weird or abnormal. also is you parking brake on.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Jr. Apprentice

All my fuses check out good. My emergency brake is not on and the brakes work just fine. I recently replaced all the pads thinking this would work. I also replaced both wheel barings last month and still nothing. I'm not sure if the clicking sound I hear is connected with the warning lights that remain on. I feel like it may be some sort of electrical problem but I'm not sure.

i would check if your flashers work and it sounds like it is an electrical fault. or your ABS might have gone out whch explains why the brake lights are on and the ABS warning light is on.

I had a problem very similar to this with my 2005. Oddly enough, it was a relay causing the noise. Replaced it and no more clicking. Could be a wiring problem inside the steering column too considering your e-brake and ABS lights are coming on.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks Untouchable. Do you remember what relay you replaced and its location?

Don't quote me on this because it's been a few years since I did it, but I think it was a parking lamp relay...but that wouldn't explain the issue with your ABS indicator coming on.

Jr. Apprentice

That's a great place to start. Thank you.

Blog Entries

I was going to suggest checking your relays as well. Definitely sounds like that is your issue.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Jr. Apprentice

Where about are the relays located?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by