GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Headlight woes. Any ideas?

I can't figure out how to change my headlights!!!!
    My headlights are dangerously dim, especially for the back roads that I live on. So I bought some new bulbs. I spent probably 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the old headlights with no luck. I even have a "Haynes" manual with pics and everything. The guy who owned the truck before me put a 93 grill in my 91 and I think that has something to do with why I can't get to the headlight assembly.

Any ideas on how to get to the headlights? Should my different grille make it difficult to get to the headlights or not?
    91 K1500, 4x4.
    It's not fancy, but it still looks pretty good and runs hard...
    kind-of like me.

There should be screws holding them in at the top just behind the chrome area of the grill. There will be holes with the bolts inside them. After you loosen them, the assembly should just slide right out.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Replaced the bulbs on my 94 K1500 and had to remove the grill in order to pull out the headlamp assembly.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson03 View Post
    Replaced the bulbs on my 94 K1500 and had to remove the grill in order to pull out the headlamp assembly.
    On my 2000 K2500, I could get to the low beam lights from under the hood,(a real pia,) but to get to the high beam lamps the grill had to come off and the headlamp assy removed to change them.(much easier)

sometimes you have to be humbled before you can learn... I feel pretty dumb that I couldn't figure that out. But thanks to "untouchable" for pointing out the obvious and helping me out. It was ridiculously easy once i knew what i was doing.
    91 K1500, 4x4.
    It's not fancy, but it still looks pretty good and runs hard...
    kind-of like me.

I'm happy I could help. Don't feel dumb though...I took the bed off of my old '83 one time because I couldn't figure out how to remove the gas tank hahaha.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'm happy I could help. Don't feel dumb though...I took the bed off of my old '83 one time because I couldn't figure out how to remove the gas tank hahaha.
    I'd rather pull the bed(have 2x now) to work on the intank pump than to have to handle a tank with fuel in it.....