GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default OnStar Unit Location within 2004 GMC Sierra?

I'm trying to find a diagram showing where the OnStar unit is hidden as my search for it has yielded no fruit. I strongly suspect it's under the dash behind the air bag as that's one of the few stones I've left unturned ... but I'm hesitent to go poking around, there, without a diagram or some explanation of how that area is put together.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Surreal

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I belive it's behind the glove box or in the dash
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    I belive it's behind the glove box or in the dash
    The box your thinking of behind the glove box is for the XM radio. I found a post on another site that claims that the OnStar box on a 2004 2500HD Silverado is located behind the dashboard on the passenger side. You have to remove the upper part of the dash to access it and work between it and the firewall. It's the smaller module at the bottom. I've never done it myself and sounds like a tonne of work but if you already have your dash apart that might be a place to look.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

Quote Originally Posted by redneck70 View Post
    The box your thinking of behind the glove box is for the XM radio. I found a post on another site that claims that the OnStar box on a 2004 2500HD Silverado is located behind the dashboard on the passenger side. You have to remove the upper part of the dash to access it and work between it and the firewall. It's the smaller module at the bottom. I've never done it myself and sounds like a tonne of work but if you already have your dash apart that might be a place to look.
    I pulled the XM radio some time ago. (Wow that thing was massive for what it does.) I've also read the post you referenced but, sadly, it included no photos and its instructions were VERY hard to follow without visual aid. I'll need a diagram before I'm comfortable working around the air bag. If I can't find a diagram I may content myself with pulling the antenna wire for the unit since I know it comes up one of the A-pillars. (If memory serves it comes up the passenger side, but it's been a while since I had the headliner out...)

I learned that yanking the fuse just disables to voice junk.

Surreal

P.S. It's not behind the glove box, Enkie. It's also not behind the radio or behind the instrument cluster or under the driver's side kick plate. If it's in the dash it's gotta be up by the passenger side somewhere.

My Onstar brain is located behind the lower middle dash panel that has the ash tray in it.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    My Onstar brain is located behind the lower middle dash panel that has the ash tray in it.
    Thanks. Sadly it's in a different location for your NNBS truck than it is on my NBS truck. :(

Found it. Passenger side -- behind the air bag. It can be (and was, shortly after I found it) disconnected from the glove box. I'll likely post a how-to on this with pictures, this week, such that others with the same body style as me know what to look for and what to disconnect. I'm also going to remove the sucker (without removing the dash; my small hands will likely let me). I got 80% of the way there but had to quit because the temp dropped quickly on me and it became too cold to work outside.

Surreal