GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1991 gmc heater direction control

I have a 1991 GMC k1500 it originally had the 4.3l v6 in it I now have the 5.7 mated to the 5-speed tranny. It is a base model manual door locks and windows no cruise and so on. I quit driving it and let a neighbor of ours use it after I bought my 1999 GMC, I have since started driving it again and I noticed that the heater doesn't change directions.... this is a cable driven unit so not a problem with the control head. I believe that their liilttle kids dropped a pencil or something similar down into the defrost vent and they tried forcing it to change directions and either broke or just popped the flaps out of their groves down in the box where the flaps are located.....

so my question is how to fix this?? I had a similar thing happen on my 1994 gmc and I tore the dash apart on my parts vehicle and I'm not sure if I diid it wrong but I believe the dash has to come out to get to this specific ventilation system component. Am I right or is there a different simple way to fix those flaps, I've decided to start restoring this vehicle to full original quality.

Any help or suggestions...??

Yea, I think you are on the right track that the dash pretty much has to come out.
    Once you have the dash out, you MIGHT be able to do your repair work without having to remove the ductwork system.
    If the duct system has to come out, you will most likely have to have the A/C system emptied to remove the duct. Then, of course, have it evacuated and recharged when you are done.

The truck doesn't have an ac system its the bone stock option , so idk i wish there was a way to get to the stuff and remove it without the dash coming out.

If that is the fact that the dash has to come out.... does anyone know of a write-up that details the process? On my old parts truck when I did it it didn't matter if I broke anything.... so on... I was just trying to get an idea off how hard it would be to fix my 1994 when I realized that the dash had to come out i canned the idea...
    Last edited by sledtrash; 12-31-2011 at 06:31 PM.