GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What does the make and model of your truck mean when it comes to cost of ownership?

This is something that has confused me for a while.......

A light duty or "personal" truck would be something like a 1500,2500, or 3500 (when it comes to state and federal guidelines)
    A medium duty class usually starts at a 4500 and goes through the 8500 (c8500/ Kodiak)
    Then you have you "heavy duty" trucks which would be your 18 wheelers, etc.

So back in the day GM (Silverado and Siera) had 1500, 2500, and 3500's. At some point GM started giving their 2500 and 3500 trucks this "HD" (2500 HD/ 3500HD) and I guess there also was a 1500 HD for a year or 2.

By designating these technically light duty trucks with the "HD" that has opened up the cost of getting tags, and stuff to be inflated to prices for higher duty trucks? or am I missing something.

I even had to argue with the tag office here that my 1500 is a personal vehicle, not a commercial one and I was not going to pay them more for a "weighted tag"

Has anyone noticed this change as they trying to squeeze more money from us truck owners?

Blog Entries

I haven't noticed that in this area, but of course MT is about 50 years behind everybody else. Did you know that we still ride horses to work?
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."