GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Cold Air Intake issue with throttle body spacer

i just installed a k&n cold air intake with an Airaid throttle body spacer and it seems the TBS causes the intake tube not to line up correctly because of the additional space added to the throttle body. I was still able to get the clamps on with a decent seal... i think... but i get a whistle from the filter box area and the check engine light came on after driving about 15 miles. The tube isnt lined up perfectly with the throttle body/filter box but it is inside the boots and clamped tight.

Any ideas.... although i think ill just send it back to amazon...

2011 silverado, 5.3L

Have you tried it without the TBS at all??

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Both a CAI and TBS create sort of a whistle from the additional air flow but I don't know why it would throw an engine code. I would also try the intake without the spacer on.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by Justin092300 View Post
    i just installed a k&n cold air intake with an Airaid throttle body spacer and it seems the TBS causes the intake tube not to line up correctly because of the additional space added to the throttle body. I was still able to get the clamps on with a decent seal... i think... but i get a whistle from the filter box area and the check engine light came on after driving about 15 miles. The tube isnt lined up perfectly with the throttle body/filter box but it is inside the boots and clamped tight.

Any ideas.... although i think ill just send it back to amazon...

2011 silverado, 5.3L
    Sorry to say, but remove the aftermarket throttle body spacer, As they Do nothing Regarding Performance Gains on the Late Model Vortec Engine's......
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-02-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I have read in other articles a aftermarket throttle spacer added no gains on a Vortec. I would take the others advise and install the stock trottle spacer with the CAI, In an older Truckin Mag. article about K&N they drove 100mi before the trucks electronics adjusted with the new intake.

2012 Silverado

First thing, ditch the spacer. Second, think of it this way; If you put an air intake system on your truck in order to increase and smooth air flow. If it's not lined up you've got impeded airflow. The KnN sticker does not increase Hp, I'm not tying to sound sarcastic. It's just I see a lot of people getting ripped off with what is more often called the KnN, Volant etc, dirt straw. The Hp gains on the box are BS, except when coupled with and exhaust and a proper tune. Thinking in the terms, "If it sounds to good to be true" If all it took to get 12 to 20 more Hp out of a motor is clamp on a piece of straight pipe with a high flow filter; Don't you think all car manufacturers would have one on every car? K&N puts a Hp/torque graph on the box, this is eye candy BS as well.

You will never see a K&N, Volant etc commercial or youtube clip with your truck on a rolling Dyno and a before and after video clip showing a 12 to 20 Hp gain. Why? Because your new intake will never deliver 12 to 20 hp without the motor trying to suck in all that easy to breath air. Your motor wouldn't know what to do with that optimal combustion condition without a tuned ECM and MAF program that tells it to. A motor tuned for economy will stay that way regardless of the intake snorkel.

VVT motors do make them slightly more adaptive, however that said. You can get just as much Hp using higher grade gas. I'm not trying to come off as the snotty know it all mechanic; I'm just bent over company's selling this magic bullet that is going to turn your car or truck into a sport edition over stock and improve mileage bla, bla. I'm kind of fed up with the aftermarket shell game as you can tell. There are some good companies making good products that work, there is something you must read between the lines. When you see "results may vary", this usually means do your homework, save your money and do a complete build up when you have all the parts on your shopping list together.
    Last edited by Kapelusprime; 01-02-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    I am a American solder, I am a member of the finest fight force on earth, I am the bump in the night. I will defend the United states of American Against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Repent now all those who would do my nation and it's people harm; For when we come it will be too late.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE, Z71 with 5.3 l and max tow/haul package

Thanks for all the quick responses. This morning I removed the TBS, the whistle went away and it sounds good when I get on the gas. The check engine light came on again but maybe it will go away after 100 miles or so. If not, then I'll put on the stock intake tube with a high flow filter until I'm ready for exhaust then get it tuned. I plan to put on Flowmaster Force II exhaust in the future.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jr. Apprentice

If the light is on, have the code read. I will bet it's a code for running lean. It's common with the CAI if you don't get things sealed correctly. There's a possibilty unmetered air is entering the intake system after the MAF sensor. If that's the case, take a look at the install and make sure you have it lined up correctly and clamped tight. There's no reason to scrap the CAI.

After checking the install, reset the code and see if it comes back.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 ECSB Z71 5.3L LM7

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kapelusprime View Post
    First thing, ditch the spacer. Second, think of it this way; If you put an air intake system on your truck in order to increase and smooth air flow. If it's not lined up you've got impeded airflow. The KnN sticker does not increase Hp, I'm not tying to sound sarcastic. It's just I see a lot of people getting ripped off with what is more often called the KnN, Volant etc, dirt straw. The Hp gains on the box are BS, except when coupled with and exhaust and a proper tune. Thinking in the terms, "If it sounds to good to be true" If all it took to get 12 to 20 more Hp out of a motor is clamp on a piece of straight pipe with a high flow filter; Don't you think all car manufacturers would have one on every car? K&N puts a Hp/torque graph on the box, this is eye candy BS as well.

You will never see a K&N, Volant etc commercial or youtube clip with your truck on a rolling Dyno and a before and after video clip showing a 12 to 20 Hp gain. Why? Because your new intake will never deliver 12 to 20 hp without the motor trying to suck in all that easy to breath air. Your motor wouldn't know what to do with that optimal combustion condition without a tuned ECM and MAF program that tells it to. A motor tuned for economy will stay that way regardless of the intake snorkel.

VVT motors do make them slightly more adaptive, however that said. You can get just as much Hp using higher grade gas. I'm not trying to come off as the snotty know it all mechanic; I'm just bent over company's selling this magic bullet that is going to turn your car or truck into a sport edition over stock and improve mileage bla, bla. I'm kind of fed up with the aftermarket shell game as you can tell. There are some good companies making good products that work, there is something you must read between the lines. When you see "results may vary", this usually means do your homework, save your money and do a complete build up when you have all the parts on your shopping list together.

I have a 08 with a 5.3 and put a aem intake on from my 2000 5.3...didnt notice no difference. took it off put a throttle body spacer on. not a noticeable difference but who cares wen you got a sweet turbo soundin whistle. put a s&b intake on and you can hear and feel the power gain! so i wouldnt say that all intakes are the same
    2008 Chevy Silverado Z71
    -Y pipe Dual Exhaust 4 inch tips
    -7.5 inch Rough Country Lift
    -3 Inch Body Lift
    -2 inch Add-A-Leaf
    -35x12.5r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -Moto Metal 951 Rims
    -S&B Cold Air Intake
    -Airaid Throttle Body Spacere
    -EFI Live
    -LED Taillights
    -LED Interior Lights