GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: blower switch

Default blower switch

my blower only works on 1 2 3 not 4 5 would that be under recall for a 2004 chevy 1500 4x4 extended cab thanks for help
    todd

Quote Originally Posted by toddmustang View Post
    my blower only works on 1 2 3 not 4 5 would that be under recall for a 2004 chevy 1500 4x4 extended cab thanks for help
    todd
    Todd....the Problem is with the Blower Motor Resistor.....There is no recall on this......instead G.M has a Special Coverage Adjustment on the Blower Motor Resistor's, Below is the length of the Coverage and the Information Regarding this issue with the Blower Motor Resistor's,

Special Coverage Adjustment,.......This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000km) whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

The Dealer's are to install a New Blower Module Connector and the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer,

G.M. SERVICE BULLETIN
    Special Coverage Adjustment
    Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the Ignition Off

Models:
    2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
    2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
    2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2003-2007 GMC Sierra
    Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition.......On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay Resistor Module and the Wiring Connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
    - A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
    - The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

IN VERY RARE events, if the above Symptoms are Ignored......A FIRE Could Occur.

Special Coverage Adjustment,.......This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000km) whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

Important.......For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, All eligible Claims with repair orders on or after April 8 2001 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with Repair orders prior to April 8 2011 must be Sumitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved,
    Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 Model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vehicles equipped with a Manual HVAV (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Inprotant,
    Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-02-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

my blower motor resistor went out on my 2000 silverado and it would only work on 5. i got a replacement and put it in and now i have 1 2 3 and 4 but no 5. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by maasmania View Post
    my blower motor resistor went out on my 2000 silverado and it would only work on 5. i got a replacement and put it in and now i have 1 2 3 and 4 but no 5. oh well.
    Is there a separate fuse for 5? I would check out the fuse panel.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by maasmania View Post
    Next to replacing the Blower Motor Resistor, the Blower Resistor Wiring Connection also should be Replaced,

This is a Section from the Above G.M. Service Bulletin and it expresses the following.....the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay Resistor Module and the Wiring Connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation,

In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay Resistor module or Wiring Connector to Overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
    - A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
    - The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN