GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cam replacement without pulling motor on 2002 GMC Sierra 4.8

Has anybody ever reeplaced a camshaft in their GMC pickup (2002 GMC Sierra) without having to pull the motor? Just want to confirm what has to be done; preferably without pulling the motor. Thx.

Well, you can do it by pulling the engine up above the hood line and tilting it back a little...so at least you don't have to take it ALL the way out...but otherwise, no, it's impossible to get a 1 1/2 foot to 2 foot cam into a engine block perfectly straight in a small cramped space such as that trucks engine bay....

You could remove the entire front clip, radiator, condenser, bumper, grill, everything...
    1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 350 cuin TBI in dark Chevy blue
    160,000+ miles
    Original paint
    Original interior
    Original engine and tranny
    wrecked twice stolen once
    Diamond Plate bed rails
    Power windows
    Original Alloy wheels
    Original fancy smancy cup holder
    Tow package
    Original plastic bed liner
    K&N Cone Air Intake
    Dual MagnaFlow exhaust(not true dual) with chrome tips
    MSD Street Fire Performance Ignition coil

Default Cam replacement without pulling motor on 2002 GMC Sierra 4.8

Yes/Thx Ethan,

I don't have the truck in front of me right now, but given they do not have a rear distributor, maybe electrical wires stuffed behind manifold between body and engine, etc., what all I would have to disconnect/take out - e.g., would I keep tranny hooked up., starter, and anything else as an obstacle. Enough clearance that I can tilt engine back enough to remove/put in cam? A shop said about removing the engine, but I know I have replaced a cam way back with the engine still in car, but don't know any differences between truck/car bay that would prevent me form doing so. I know the roller lifters do not have to come out - turning cam to put them above space for cam to come out and in.

Any other thoughts and about how much time would something like this take if done before.

It's alot easier to just pull all the coolers and the grill.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

I think you are right - I just sawYoutube showing pulling cam with engine in truck, but it was a much earlier
    model (C100?) with the LT motor. I'll have to look at mine when I have it and check out the clearances when front stuff is removed.
    Thx for the input.

Sr. Apprentice

The front radiator support although tedious can come all apart and you can remove the grille, condensor trans cooler etc.. and pull the cam out the front and actuall you do not have to pull the heads either unless you are changing lifters. IN ALL HONESTY IF YOU WERE PULLING THE ENGINE BY THE BOOK THE SEVICE MANUAL HAS YOU TAKE THE GRILL COOLERS RAD AND SUPPORT ALL oUT.
    good luck, Andy

Thanks Wildmans - I just got my 2002 GMC Sierra back today; I had my friend/mechanic put in a B & M Mega Shifter for my 4L60E and it works great.
    added a Transgo Reprogramming HD Shift kit and TCI Servo - it squeels the tires when it shifts into second. Anyway, I think I will do the
    cam since I remebered doing 2 of these via the front entry with the engine in the car. I like working on it, but I also farm out stuff that
    I just want to get sooner. Either way, it helps alot when folks like you share your knowledge and guide me in the best way of doing things.

Thanks again and when I get a bit of time I will take pictures and share my journey.