Results 1 to 6 of 6
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM #1
Will 33's fit on a new-body-style without major surgery?
Happy New Year to all ....
... and apologies if this question has been answered already in another thread ...
.... didn't have time to go thru all of them here at work ....
My son has a 2007 Silverado 1500 2WD (new-body-style) and wants to get the pre-runner look ....
It currently has the factory 20" alloys with 275/55-20 tires (someone added them to this truck) ...
We would like to put on a 17" wheel with a 285/70-17 tire (33" tall) ....
My questions are ....
1) FRONT ... I have heard that in order to put a 33" tire on these new-body-style trucks, that minor "trimming" is needed ...
If so, exactly what needs to be trimmed, where and how much?
Also, if a "leveling kit" is installed up front, does this negate having to "trim" anything? If so, what amount of lift is required (2" ... 3" ... ?)
2) REAR ... If we lower the rear of the truck to achieve this "pre-runner" stance (like 2' or 3"), will that cause interference with the 33" tires?
I'm thinking not, since you could currently fit a small child in the rear wheel-wells ...
Thanks in advance for the help ...2009 GMC Denali (Mom's daily driver)
2010 Chevy Camaro SS (Dad's daily driver - modded L99)
1957 Chevy Nomad (Mom's cruise car - LT1/4L60E)
1971 Chevy El Camino (Dad's cruise car - 406ci/510hp)
2001 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 4.8)
2007 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 5.3)
"Leavin' off the transbrake at a stoplight near you!"
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM #2
33" fit well with a leveling kit. If he wants the pre-runner look, he'll want to do that anyway. I just installed mine last week and added the 20" tahoe wheels and 33" tires and absolutely love the new look.2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management
01-21-2012, 12:48 AM #3
01-23-2012, 08:25 AM #4
I went with the BFG Rugged Terrain, The RC leveling kit and the Tahoe wheels. Sorry for the poor quality pic, I'll get a better one when I get her cleaned up.
Last edited by duckduckdog; 01-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.
01-26-2012, 06:59 PM #5
- Join Date
- Mar 2011
Do you have a photo of what you are going for in terms of looks?
I like what has been done so far, but imo looks very huge and heavy which is not very cool (imo).
Do you plan on changing bumpers on the front?
01-27-2012, 09:14 AM #6
Sorry, guys ... didn't mean to ignore you all ... have this same thread in the "off-road suspension" section, also ...
Because this truck is my 17-yr-old son's, we are on a budget ... so with money he got from Christmas, the sale of his stock 20" alloys/tires, and a little help from Mom & Dad, we did the following ...
- first bought 17x8 black steel wheels (similar to the Cragar Soft-8) at the local tire store (buddy of mine for MANY years) ...
- since new tires are SO expensive (for us, anyway), I found a used set of 285/70-17 Hancooks on Craigslist and got them for $180 .... not 'near new", but with the amount of driving he does, I'm sure we'll get at least a year's use out of them in their current condition
- installed on truck in stock trim, but they rubbed on the rear section of the inner fender when turning
- had another buddy's off-road shop install a 2" leveling kit in the front, which cured all the rubbing problems
- removed the factory 1-1/2" blocks that are in the rear sandwiched between the bottom of the leaf spring and the top of the pad on the differential. Enough thread on the stock U-bolts that we were able to reuse them without any problems.
- the results are pictured below. All in all, my son likes it and is going to live with it for a while. He told me last night that he thinks he is going to save up and get the adjustable leaf-spring brackets to lower the rear another 1"-2" ...
... still need to get the front end re-aligned, also ...
By stumpman in forum Lifted & Offroad SuspensionReplies: 4Last: 08-13-2011, 03:59 PM
By gemquality in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)Replies: 10Last: 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
By gemquality in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit ChatReplies: 1Last: 06-23-2010, 11:23 PM
By blacknight97 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 3Last: 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
By 1st Synthetics in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 8Last: 02-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Tags for this Thread