GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default How do i know what kind of rear differential I have?

I have a 2002 extended cab silverado that is 2wd and i want to know what my rear diff situation is so i can maybe buy a locker or a positraction rear diff to help with winter (i live in wisconsin) so if anyone knows where i can find out what i have (without doing a burnout and seeing how may wheels spin haha) it would be greatly appreciated!
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Z71
    3" Body Lift
    American Racing rims
    33" Yokohama Mud Terrains
    Dual Exhaust straight pipes
    -CHEVY MILITIA MEMBER-

If I am not mistaken there should be a build sheet inside the glove box permanently affixed. Codes starting with the letter "G" are differential related.

Yup. Check the RPO codes in the glove box and use a RPO lookup tool to determine what you have. This site has a number of such tools linked on it ... so you might use the 'search' function to find them. Happy lookups!

Quote Originally Posted by DSKMAN View Post
    I have a 2002 extended cab silverado that is 2wd and i want to know what my rear diff situation is so i can maybe buy a locker or a positraction rear diff to help with winter (i live in wisconsin) so if anyone knows where i can find out what i have (without doing a burnout and seeing how may wheels spin haha) it would be greatly appreciated!

As mentioned above inside the Glove Box is a White Sticker....which is the Service Parts I.D. Tag, and on it you will see your Trucks Vin # Number and a Series of Letters and Number's which are RPO codes.....which stands for Regular Production Options...In short what your Truck came with from the Factory.

To find out which Gears you have, you will be looking for the one Following,
    GU5........3.23
    GU6........3.42
    GT4........3.73
    GT5........4.10

Also you going to be looking for RPO Code G-80, which is the, Limited Slip(Locker)

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

If you don't have the sticker in the glove box you could look on or around the diff cover. It is usually stamped into the housing. Or there may be a tag that is bolted to the diff cover.