GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: gas mileage

Default gas mileage

have 2011 crew cab z71 2 wheel drive. is there anything to do for better mileage? has 14000 miles

Legend

Blog Entries

You could try a high performance cold air intake and a performance exhaust. The addition of these will allow the motor to breath better and should help fuel mileage. There also handheld programmers that have an option for a fuel mileage setting. You will give up some power if that isn't an issue.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

In the end any savings you get on fuel from the purchase of those items takes a long time to payoff out of the fuel tank.
    Probably the best way to save fuel is stick close to 60/65 on the highway, be easy on thre thottle no jack rabbit starts, limit idle times.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Gotta agree with TBPLUS- add ons are costly-and usually don't improve part throttle FE in a modern vehicle-certainly not in a drive by wire vehicle.
    Lower HY speeds- use cc on the hy-
    In city driving pulse and glide driving can improve FE by 10-15% pretty easily.
    With GM trucks-modern E- controlled transmissions- when you lift off the throttle completely at 35mph(once warmed up) there will be zero engine braking if you have it in D- just like having it in N.
    Pulse-meaning accelerate normally not slowly- up to 35mph-lift completely off gas-you'll glide up to 37mph-glide down to 28mpg-
    Your average speed will be about 31mph- no problem in a 35mph zone- you'll travel about 1600-1700 feet per cycle-roughly 1/3 mile- you'll use about .14 gallons in this 1700/5280 miles- it will be about 22mpg or a bit better per cycle of 1700 feet.
    If you just hold a steady 35mph-after pulsing up-you will average about 16mpg or so.
    Charlie
    PS Not sure if custom tunes can help FE-got my doubts-OEM engineers are pretty smart- but I don't know for sure on that-
    CAIs- no chance they improve part throttle FE-HP yes full throttle FE maybe a tiny bit- part throttle FE no way??Folks mix up
    volumetric efficiency with fuel economy-improving volumetric efficiency at full throttle doesn't mean better part throttle FE- not with modern vehicles.

PPS-Should have explained why a CAI won't improve part throttle FE
    If you decrease resistance BEFORE the throttle plate(CAI) your drive by wire will just add resistance by slightly closing the throttle plate-so you end up with EXACTLY the same charge of fuel/air- it it allowed MORE mixture in-you would ACCELERATE-and of course use more fuel.
    On not drive by wire systems-you do the same thing-shut the throttle plate a little-with your right foot.
    Diesels-and older carbed vehicles-might be slightly different story.
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-06-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Sr. Apprentice

Before I got the Suburban, the prior owner put a hydrogen kit on the truck. About 400.00 and increase the mileage 3 to 4 mpg. I have not used it, but my brother has it on his Dodge with over 125000 miles and claims 4mpg improvement. I will probably take it off my truck in the spring. I only use it locally so don't worry to much about mileage.

Over the last 20+ years, I have tried the cold air intakes, the loud exhaust, the hand held programmers, and even the reprogrammed computers. In all cases, it seemed like a waste of money. All of those gimmicks don't help mileage hardly at all...in some cases, I lost 1-2 mpg. If you really look close at the advertisements for the stuff, they say that the real strong power increase (8-10 hp??) comes in at 5500+ rpms. Who the heck drives around at 5000 or more rpms on the street? NOBODY.

To spend $300 for a cold air intake that does nothing except look cool is really dumb....I am a big Dummy....I admit it. The throttle body spacer is a small boat anchor that does a great job of creating a whistle while you drive....I hate whistles.....another wasted $100. I do like the sound of a nice Magnaflo or Flowmster, and for $300-400 you can have a great sounding car or truck, but it does nothing for MPG.

Finally in my 60's I have become lee dumb. I realize that the GM engineers are a heck of a lot smarter than I am, and they have done a great job of getting a 4000-6000 pound vehicle (often loaded with stuff) to power down the hiway at 70 mph and still get 15-20 mpg.

The only thing that really helps improve mpg is the DRIVER. I accelerate slowly from a light, a take my foot off the gas when I see a light change ahead of me, I drive at about the speed limit or a couple of miles over, I do not let the truck idle a lot, and I do buy quality fuel (there is a difference).

People think I am lying when I say the my 06 AWD 6.0 Liter Escalade gets 19+mpg (cannot get 20....dammmm) highway and 16+ overall....other Escalade owners get a lot less....I am not in a hurry, use a light foot ont he pedal, and save a few bucks at the pump...without buying a bunch of over rated add-ons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2011 GMC Sierra HD 2500
    6.0L, Extended Cab, 4x4, 3.73
    2013 Flagstaff "V" Lite, 30', 7300#

clean the throdle body and intake with some MAP/MAF sensor safe spray.
    clean the air filter intake housing. all of it.
    install K&N air filter (NOT a K&N intake kit)
    sea-foam/carbout the intake
    change fuel filter
    add seafoam/carbout to a full gas tank

should see an instant improvement of a few MPG, but nothing amazing... its a 5,000 lb truck
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I changed the fuel filter in my 94 camaro when I bought it. Was getting about 360 miles a tank. Installed a new filter an now I average about 400. So 2 mpg better. Not a big difference, but for 15 bucks, I am happy