GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default Great stuff-6'6"

6'6"-I just copied your list-great stuff.When we get a few $$ ahead I 'm going to pull my 200,000 miles motor,and put in a Goodwrench($ delivered)or maybe the GM 383E stroker($4500 DELIVERED). I would love to get the 383E-not many manufacturers(zero) build a hotrod engine you can drop in -with a warranty!Unfortunately,the trans isn't rated for the 383E's torque(340 hp 400+LB-FT);even more unfortunate,I'm flat broke and in debt,so... it might be awhile.
    I'll keep that list at hand when I start.
    Thanks,
    Charlie

I can’t remember how many motors I have changed under a tree with a come-a-long. Just put plywood or heavy cardboard under the entire front end.

I know I like with the right tools better but, I usually don’t have them available. So I have improvised.

Melanie has helped pull and install so many 350 Chevy motors in our old Burb I think she could do it by herself.

Good luck

Keep the pictures for a good build thread we can save for others to follow.

Steve

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    6'6"-I just copied your list-great stuff.When we get a few $$ ahead I 'm going to pull my 200,000 miles motor,and put in a Goodwrench($ delivered)or maybe the GM 383E stroker($4500 DELIVERED). I would love to get the 383E-not many manufacturers(zero) build a hotrod engine you can drop in -with a warranty!Unfortunately,the trans isn't rated for the 383E's torque(340 hp 400+LB-FT);even more unfortunate,I'm flat broke and in debt,so... it might be awhile.
    I'll keep that list at hand when I start.
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Those engines are a dream for mee too! I don't know if it is true, but on the edelbrock website they have a graph for the increase in torque for their TBI 350 build up kit (heads, cam, intake) and on that same graph they have the torque curve for a stock TBI 350. According to that curve the stock TBI 350 has 300+lb-ft of torque!! Is that true?? If so, that is hard to beat for the money. I just picked up a relatively clean used one for $200 to replace the one in my truck...might not be much in the HP (190) departmnet, but can't beat the bang for the buck. Super reliable engines.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I drool over that HT383E which is for the 96-99 non throttle body motors.Supposed to produce 340 hp and 435 lb-ft vs 250 and maybe 300+lb ft. Imagine 90 more hp,and maybe 100 more lbft; it would take a turbocharger to get that from the stock motor,and it would ping itself into dust, or just wouldn't produce much because the ping sensor would back the timing waaay off.
    My motor-197000 miles-runs just fine,and hasn't used any 5w30 Mobil I oil(kinda thin for a high mile motor) in 1500 miles.I kinda hate to change it, but we drive all the way across TX( either I-10 all the way to AZ or I-20, HY287,I-40)and there is lots of middle of nowhere in TX,NM,AZ 4 times a year.I just don't feel confident in such a high mile motor.
    I would love that 383, but the dead stock Goodwrench is $1900 less,and probably the smarter idea.
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Well the engine is out, made a few mistakes but went pretty well. The wife came out and helped a little so that helped as well. Will be figuring out the engine plan next week but won't have a chance to get it installed for a couple of weeks based on current schedule.

One of the mistakes made was not realizing that a few of the cables I disconnected had hung on a bracket when pulling the motor and I stretched one beyond repair so I'll be replacing that but all-in-all I'd do it again. Just wish they'd make the engineers remove and replace the motors a couple of times and they'd see the lunacy of some of their decisions.

Also, if you buy the Sam's Club Goodyear Engine Hoist and use the load leveler you might seriously consider removing the factory hook and bolting the leveler directly up to the arm. With my 33" tires (no additional lift kits) and the factory hook removed the motor barely cleared the front.

Here goes a couple of questions:
    - How do you refill the torque converter (or do you)? Dropped a bunch of tranny fluid when I pulled the motor?
    - When getting the new motor how is the distributor installed (correct position)?

There will probably be more questions to come so stay tuned.

Also, great input...thanks.
    Last edited by 4wd-burban; 10-27-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added thanks
    You may be a redneck if... you have spent more on your pickup truck than on your education. - Jeff Foxworthy :he:

- How do you refill the torque converter (or do you)? Dropped a bunch of tranny fluid when I pulled the motor?

Did you pull the engine out with the torque converter still on the engine?
    Normally you remove the three bolds that attach the torque converter to the flex plate.

The torque converter stays on the tranny.
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Davandy View Post
    Did you pull the engine out with the torque converter still on the engine?
    Yep I did, well add that to the list of mistakes

Since I'm not going to sit here and beat myself up too bad lets talk about the problems. Is the transmission toast or can I refill the torque converter and place it back on the tranny? Any things to watch for when putting it back on? Would explain why it was such a booger to get separated from the motor

Thanks again for the points and I went back and reread Big6ft6's post and I completely missed the second part of step #5...guess you could say I pulled a Homer, doh.
    Last edited by 4wd-burban; 10-28-2007 at 11:16 PM.

I know it's from a F*rd forum, but it looks like it answeres your question... http://www.f150online.com/forums/arc.../t-192815.html . It appears that you just "overfill" the transmission on the first run, and the torque converter will suck it up. You may have to do it a couple more times, but those times, just fill to the normal fill line, so that when the torque converter does get full, the tranny itself won't be overfull. Hope this helps
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12