GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mild Audio System (Need Battery Suggestions)

I'm getting my 2 15" Kick comps installed on monday

there gonna be run by Alpine MRP-M500

im also considering getting the Alpine SPS-610C and the Alpine SPS-610 installed with the Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack

with it possibly hooked to Alpine CDE-126BT

any battery suggestions??

and should i get a capacitor????

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbuttersports View Post
    I'm getting my 2 15" Kick comps installed on monday

there gonna be run by Alpine MRP-M500

im also considering getting the Alpine SPS-610C and the Alpine SPS-610 installed with the Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack

with it possibly hooked to Alpine CDE-126BT

any battery suggestions??

and should i get a capacitor????
    Do not get a capacitor...they are a waste of money. If you want to change batteries I would suggest a Optima Yellow Top. Kinetik and Stinger also make decent batteries.

I am still using my Stock GM battery and have had no problems. I get a consistent 14.5 volts out of it when playing the system normally...if I crank it up it never dips below 12.5 volts.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Unless your using your stereo mostly with your truck turned off a new battery would be a waste of money, as long as your battery is good and it's not putting any extra strain on your alternator just to keep it charged you'll be fine, if you are getting the lights dimming when you crank it up I would consider get a bigger alternator. When you have any electronic accessory on it's your alternator that has to keep up with the large current demands not your battery.

If you are using your stereo with the truck turned off most of the time a bigger battery would be a good idea, or better yet put in a second battery so when you want to get your truck started you won't need a boost.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

Quote Originally Posted by redneck70 View Post
    Unless your using your stereo mostly with your truck turned off a new battery would be a waste of money
    That's not entirely true. You might have other uses for a battery such as a winch, light bars, and the like. A capacitor won't help in a multi-function scenario. Put simply, a battery is far more extensible than a capacitor, as it lends itself to more uses.

Biggest misconception about batteries and alternators is people use the voltage value when talkin about electrical efficiency. If you're running any kind of system or accessory it is given that it needs 12.5-14 volts... Systems and accessories are demanding a higher CURRENT flow, that's where more efficient batteries (the word "bigger" is misleading) come into play, also, how are alternators rated? Amps, which is the electrical measurement of current. Why do you think you use bigger power wire for bigger systems? It's not so you can get more voltage to your amp rack, it's to allow more current flow. For the poster, get a better battery and better alternator, you WILL hear a sound difference and your truck will love you long time .
    Last edited by zigger215; 01-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

As said above.. With that one amp You should be fine No worries But if you are going for more power later and More add on's on the truck.. Batt and Alt will cost a bit but are well worth it..

After over 20 years of being in the 12 Volt world Alt only one I would recamend is Ohio Genartor Simply the Best.. Batt's Kinetik is the way to go...There are a few others..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

if i were to get a second battery on the truck where would i mount it????

What year/model?

2006 GMC Canyon 5 cyl.........
    Crew Cab