GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default True dual exhaust 2003 Suburban

Hi all im new to this forume and to SUV's. I recently purchased(6 months ago) a 2003 Z71 Suburban 5.3L Flex Fuel 1/2 ton and i was wondering if anyone had put true duals on one of these monsters yet. I have shorty hedmen headers flowmaster dual 45's CAI, and a custom built tranny (old one was slipping a bit)just looking for a guesstimate on pricing and suggestion.

Pricing will be a localized thing, I know around my area I've had true duals put on trucks for under $350, that included a cheap catalytic convertor for the second side. I was in Ca. a few months back and an aquaintance was quoting $600 as the going price there.
    Just gotta look around and price it out wisely. Put your wife on the task women always know how to sniff out a good bargain, just give her incentive like the money she saves over a certain amount is hers to shop with.
    From your description all you really need is to have the pipe replaced from the headers to the mufflers, and add a cat to one side, unless your looking at replacing the 45's you just need plumbing, and 1 cat.

Thank you for the reply do you think upgrading to long tubes for the true dual is worth the extra money or no? are there really huge gains in running LT vs. shorties

What is your long term goal and plans for this truck?
    There is a difference between long tube and short tube headers, but this is a Suburban, if speed is your goal your driving the wrong rig, it's way to heavy to ever be fast and safe at one time.
    A slight performance increase could be gained and possibly at best 1-2 MPG, how long will it take to pay off those new headers at a 1-2 MPG gain.
    My personal opinion would be to keep the headers you have.
    Again with the exhaust whats the goal, if it's for sound and you want to spend the money for that true dual sound by all means do it, but dont expect a large gain in performance and MPG.
    If your after increasing MPG and performance and dont mind the fact that any gain will be minimal I'd look at the following mods:
    Change your fluids to synthetic, oil, trans fluid, r/r diff lube.
    If it doesnt have one in place already remove the engine driven fan and install an electric one.
    Look to shed some weight for normal everyday driving, do you really use the third row seat? No, put it in the garage, any other extras like push bar or side steps that dont get used? off with them too. Every pound shed equates to MPG and performance gains.
    Make sure you have a good tune-up with quality parts.
    Take a hard look at your tires, are they correctly inflated? Is there something better out there that could increase performance or MPG by going to a different foot print, i.e. narrower or wider, taller or shorter? You dont have to buy new tires now but sooner or later you'll need them and thinking ahead could help you make a better choice.

Thanks for the info I do have a complete AMSOIL swap in the future now i only have AMSOIL transmission and oil. I know it will never be fast I've had lots of fast trucks and the 5.3 in this beast will never be powerful enough to be in the fast realm. I'm just really building a crusier ( I drive about 30K a year). I plan on repainting and fixing the front bumper in the spring. Last question will 305/40/r22 fit the Suburban....Ive been told different stories but the rims and tires came off my friends 03 escalade so they should be the same right?

Ok sorry to sound vague here but I've seen some fit and some rub.
    As you probably already noticed suspension on Burbs settles a lot and each truck seems to be different.
    In any event if it does fit I would expect at least a little rub on sharp cornering and big bumps.

Welcome to the G M T C ! It has been several years, since I had duals installed andf then was around $300 on an extended cab 1/2 ton.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas