GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Performance Upgrades for 2000 Silverado 5.3L

    Hi all, I'm sure this question is long in the tooth, but hopefully not. I have a 2000 Chevy silverado, 5.3L extended cab, 4wd, lifted 3 inches. I am looking for some bolt on enhancements (for performance)...I have a cold air intake, Flowmaster exhaust, and a chip installed. Just wondering if there are any other enhancements out there....a little mechanical know-how is ok...I have a lot of tools! Ideas?

    -Rob

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daman4469 View Post
    Hi all, I'm sure this question is long in the tooth, but hopefully not. I have a 2000 Chevy silverado, 5.3L extended cab, 4wd, lifted 3 inches. I am looking for some bolt on enhancements (for performance)...I have a cold air intake, Flowmaster exhaust, and a chip installed. Just wondering if there are any other enhancements out there....a little mechanical know-how is ok...I have a lot of tools! Ideas?

    -Rob
    Rob, the one item I would mentioned to what you already have installed, and that is a Set of Headers, and going with a Set of Long Tubes Headers will yield you Better Gains than a set of Short Tube Headers......

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  3. #3

    Default

    Dido on the long tube headers, Mike knows his stuff. Just an Idea, if you have lots of money you can always slap on a Vortech supercharger. Just an idea.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    Dido on the long tube headers, Mike knows his stuff. Just an Idea, if you have lots of money you can always slap on a Vortech supercharger. Just an idea.
    Thanks guys. Supecharger....eh, I'll pass on that, even though it would be awesome! As far as headers...what all is involved? Easy swap? If it can be done in a day, I'll do it.
    -On a side note, would that change my exhaust tone? Not that it matters, just curious.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daman4469 View Post
    Thanks guys. Supecharger....eh, I'll pass on that, even though it would be awesome! As far as headers...what all is involved? Easy swap? If it can be done in a day, I'll do it.
    -On a side note, would that change my exhaust tone? Not that it matters, just curious.
    Unlike Shortly Headers which for the most part would be a direct bolt-on swap of the exhaust manifolds, Installing Long Tube Headers, the one down side is your exhaust will need to be re-worked,.......as far as a change in the Tone of your Exhaust, yes to some degree there will be different Tone to your Exhaust.

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daman4469 View Post
    Thanks guys. Supecharger....eh, I'll pass on that, even though it would be awesome! As far as headers...what all is involved? Easy swap? If it can be done in a day, I'll do it.
    -On a side note, would that change my exhaust tone? Not that it matters, just curious.
    How noticable is the difference? Any cost estimates? Is it worth the cost?

  7. #7
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Roswell, Ga.
    Posts
    13

    Default

    It will be LOUD! I don't care who makes them, they will be LOUD. But yes, that's the next step. After that you're looking at cam/heads to improve performance. Just something to think about .... a lot depends on what sort of gain you're looking for. If just better acceleration or more pulling power, you may find that changing your rear end ratio gears may give you more than any reasonable engine modification will. Of course, there's a downside, lower gears equal lower gas mileage.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone performed performance upgrades to a 1992 Silverado 454?
    By rcannon440 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
  2. recommended performance upgrades
    By brianj in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 12:22 AM
  3. Performance Upgrades?
    By thegame30 in forum Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
  4. Performance upgrades for 09 Colorado.
    By thegame30 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
  5. Performance Upgrades, 5300
    By PontiAddict in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •