GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default What spark plugs do you use and why ( 2000 and newer silverado's and sieras )

Since replacing my factory plugs that came in the truck; I have been using the Bosch platinum 4's with the IR tip. The factory plugs where IR. I have never had any issues with the platinum 4's but there are so many other options out there, I want to know what you use and how you like them.

Also..... Spark plug wire sets.... There seems to be so many different grades (I guess when it comes to how much heat they will take) and the prices are all over the place. I usually replace the plugs and the wires at the same time.

What wires do you like and why?

Thanks,

J

I just put a set of E3's in my truck at i really like them. feels almost brand new again. starts better better throttle response. put them in the wife's 2005 mazda 3 and same thing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Since replacing my factory plugs that came in the truck; I have been using the Bosch platinum 4's with the IR tip. The factory plugs where IR. I have never had any issues with the platinum 4's but there are so many other options out there, I want to know what you use and how you like them.

Also..... Spark plug wire sets.... There seems to be so many different grades (I guess when it comes to how much heat they will take) and the prices are all over the place. I usually replace the plugs and the wires at the same time.

What wires do you like and why?

Thanks,

J

The Vortec Engines Run-n-Perform Better when A/C Delco Iridium Tip Spark Plugs are installed, G.M. went to the Iridium Tip plugs some years back and the reason they went with this plug over the A/C Delco Platinum Plug is,

The iridium spark plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the iridium plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.)

.....In some cases staying with Factory/OEM parts is the way to go and this is one of the those cases staying with Factory parts(Plugs)......IMO

As far as Plug Wires go, there's nothing wrong with staying with Factory Plug Wires, the Aftermarket Plug Wires that are most often mentioned are......MSD.....Taylor....JBA and they come at 8mm....8.5mm or 9mm the factory plug wires IIRC are 7mm......on the Wires it comes down to what one is Wanting and/or Willing to spend on them.

A/C Delco Iridium plugs and JBA 8mm wires are what I have Installed in my truck.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-12-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

the way I see it is the factory develops the plugs for the engines during development and testing so I stay with AC's
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

A few weeks ago on Horespower TV (I think that was it) they did a test of different spark plugs in an LS motor. I don't remember which one. They ran the different ones on the dyno. The E3 showed a small HP gain over all the other plugs. But even with that I would still go with the factory AC plugs.

Thanks for the information.

I checked out E3's web site and they really play them up, so I went to a few parts websites that I like to shop from and wow, 99% of the comments where "I had to replace them with delco plugs after a few hundred miles or a month or so.....

I guess I will stick with the bosch Plat. 4's for the moment, not that I should consider delco plugs.

I am going to upgrade the wires though.

I use the NGK iridium spark plugs. I read good results with them in the 5.3L engines, so I went with them and the truck runs smoother now than it did on factory plugs with 115,000km on them. They seem about comparable to the Delcos, but with what I would say is likely a lower price. I have stock wires for the time being, but they will be replaced over the summer because the boots didn't fair as well as I would have liked when I changed the plugs.

I also read a lot of bad reviews about the E3 plugs in Vortec engines after a few miles. They might be worth trying on different vehicles, but it seems like they should be avoided on GM trucks.

On my spitfire, I believe I gave it NGK platinum plugs. They work well for that old, low-performance engine

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I checked out E3's web site and they really play them up, so I went to a few parts websites that I like to shop from and wow, 99% of the comments where "I had to replace them with delco plugs after a few hundred miles or a month or so.....

I guess I will stick with the bosch Plat. 4's for the moment, not that I should consider delco plugs.

I am going to upgrade the wires though.
    There have been alot of problems with the Boschs as well in the vortecs. If you get a misfire at anytime, plan on putting in AC Delcos again. Just a heads up since they may be working now but alot of the time they dont last.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"