GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Your truck looks level in the picture, which is the stance I'm going for.
    Like I said previously if I haul anything it probably wont be far and if the rear drop becomes a problem I'll install a set of helper bags. I installed a ViaAir compressor under the hood yesterday so if the bags are needed all I have to do is plumb for them.
    Got a manufacturer or purchase site to recommend RedChevy?
    The shackles I bought for my truck are Belltech shackles... I went with a company that seems to be one of the drop suspension leaders. They were reasonably priced at $80 here in Canada. That being said, a shackle is basically a shackle, and they would have to be REALLY poorly built for there to be much of a quality difference between one brand and another, in my opinion.

If you go the route of removing the block between the spring and the axle instead, I would strongly suggest getting new U-bolts. Even if the old ones will work, they are not intended to be torqued more than once and could pose a safety hazard if reused.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by RedChevyKid_92 View Post
    I have 2" drop shackles on my truck and it looks perfect
    I agree, I want the exact same stance on mine... the few times I do haul its usually pulling a small car halfway across the country. I figure if nothing else if it really interfered with the towing it would be too easy to put the original shackles back on for the tow and then swap them out again once I made the tow... thanks everyone for the advice and opinions

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

I put the 2" drop shackles on my 04 silverado. It leveled out the stance to just about perfect for me. Towing isn't toooo much of a problem. A 20' bass boat drops it about an inch but it's nothing that the truck can't handle by any means. Then again it is a pretty heavy boat...

Here's a picture of my before and after.
    Before:

After:

I did change rims but you still get the idea. I hope...

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

If you have a rear lift block pull that first and see where it sits after, you may need shorter than stock U-bolts, but they are readily available. If it still needs to come down after that, most drop shackles have 2 sets of holes so you can mount them with 1 or 2 inches of drop. You will have to cut some of the bumpstop off as you will lose suspension travel and subsequently the ability to carry really heavy loads without bottoming out. I don't know from experience but I believe the NNBS trucks have a lip on the bottom of the bed which keep the top shackle bolt from being pulled out and you either have to loosen and jack up the bed or I've heard of some people bending the lip out of the way. When I did mine I removed the bed because one bolt was seized and had to be cut and also my spare tire was frozen in the up position.
    Adam

I havent looked at the blocks yet but they arent wedged are they?
    If they are this may cause an issue with driveshaft angle, something I'm hoping to avoid.

Factory blocks aren't wedged, mine were 2" thick. Add that to the 2" shackles for a total of 4" of rear drop, with no drive shaft angle problems.
    Adam

We did the leveling kit up front and removed the blocks out back ... used same U-bolts and all .... here's how ours turned out ...

2009 GMC Denali (Mom's daily driver)
    2010 Chevy Camaro SS (Dad's daily driver - modded L99)
    1957 Chevy Nomad (Mom's cruise car - LT1/4L60E)
    1971 Chevy El Camino (Dad's cruise car - 406ci/510hp)
    2001 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 4.8)
    2007 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 5.3)

"Leavin' off the transbrake at a stoplight near you!"

Mine is leveled in the back with 2" shackles. It's been that way since 2005 with no problems with the stock shocks.

Red 05 Silverado. Ram-Air Hood w/custom paint. Cold Air Intake, Black 20" Wheels w/Polished Lip. Lowered 2" in rear, Tint, Custom Front Bumper, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, Color Matched Grill w/Billet Inserts, Debadged Tailgate, Red LED Underdash Lighting, DDMTuning HID's - 8000k in lows & fogs. Smoked Foglights

I will be installing the 2" shackles on my truck tomorrow and will try to post up some pics once done. Thanks everyone for all the input can't wait to see how my truck looks sitting level

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

WhooHaa, your giving me motivation to get out and work on mine, been to busy yet and now instead of the parts sitting on my work bench their burried under other projects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast