GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Red face Aftermarket BOSE System for'99 Silverado

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with installing an aftermarket BOSE system or some comparable quality system in a 1999 Silverado or similar model. Any recommendations for a good, but inexpensive upgrade? thanks.

It depends on what you want out of it. For me it's about quality sound, a good low, mid, and high source. I like a bit of bass, but not so much that it rattles the whole vehicle. My system sounds great and it only cost me about $300.

The head unit is a single din 500 watt Sony - It plays CD's MP3's and has an auxillary plug for IPODs and MP3 players. Just enough power to drive your mid and high speakers. Make sure it has the RCA plugs for a subwoofer (most of them do)

The subwoofer is a passive 6.5 inch sub in a bazooka tube. I recommend the bazooka if you have a regular cab pickup because it tucks in nice and neat behind the seats and it sounds awesome. If you have the extended cab or 4 door you probably want to go with a 10" sub in a box made for a truck.

I got the passive (unamplified) subwoofer because I already owned a 500 watt amp. You can buy an amplified bazooka tube and it will save you the trouble of having to mount an amp and a sub.

I bought a sub/amp wiring kit and did the installation myself. When I got everything hooked up I adjusted the deck to what I like. I also like to drop the bass from the head unit. This way you won't get any distortion from your factory speakers because they're not pushing any bass, that's what the sub is for.

The head unit should have separate controls for the bass and the subwoofer so turning down the bass won't have a huge effect on the subwoofer.

I hope this helps, if anything you can say to yourelf - "Well that's one way to do to it"
    Pete "Cujo" Clark
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Just remember your Sony head unit is NOT 500 watts.. It's more like 17 W RMs x4.. As for getting a Bose system for your truck when it did not come with one I have never heard of anyone doing this. Most get a Aftermarket set up.. A good system can cost anywahere from $500-What ever you want to spend. What do you listen to? How loud? Do you want Big Bass or clean sound?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Just remember your Sony head unit is NOT 500 watts.. It's more like 17 W RMs x4.. As for getting a Bose system for your truck when it did not come with one I have never heard of anyone doing this. Most get a Aftermarket set up.. A good system can cost anywahere from $500-What ever you want to spend. What do you listen to? How loud? Do you want Big Bass or clean sound?
    x2 on Enkie's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Just remember your Sony head unit is NOT 500 watts.. It's more like 17 W RMs x4..
    Thanks for the correction, I was referring to peak power output which is 52 watts x 4 channels (208) . So I was only off by a couple hundred watts (lol)