GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Radio reception

Default Radio reception

So I purchased a 2011 silverado back in June. It came with XM radio after that expired I used the FM Radio and I noticed that when it's cold out side I have zero reception. I check the antenna and connection and there is no corrosion, anyone have any ideals???

Thanks
    Jaele
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

Legend

You have a warranty, take it back, dont say you even touched, they may try and say you did something while pulling things apart
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by Jaele View Post
    So I purchased a 2011 silverado back in June. It came with XM radio after that expired I used the FM Radio and I noticed that when it's cold out side I have zero reception. I check the antenna and connection and there is no corrosion, anyone have any ideals???

Thanks
    Jaele
    This is actually quite common. Your not the only one to experience it, including myself. There are alot of theories, some say its condensation in the antenna or XM brain itself that once the unit warms up eliminates the condensation.

Since your under warranty I would see if the dealer will maybe have some insight to the problem. It has been a long time since mine has done it..but then again it doesnt get very cold here in Tucson Arizona very often.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

So I forgot to update everyone on this issue. It took two separate trips to the dealer to find it, and its still going to take one more to fix it. They found a crack in the antenna cable that was getting moisture in it of course they had to order it and then said its going to take 4-6 hours to replace the bad cable. The tech told me he would have to disassemble mos of the dash, go figure. haha

Well, at least they figured it out and you're getting it fixed. Fortunately I never had that issue and my truck's in the seattle area so it gets fairly cold in the winter. Sometimes it's nice to have that warranty.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Yup, the antenna cable comes from the antenna mount point into the dash and snakes its way to the radio location. Someone with small hands (like me) can work through the vent openings (after removing the vents, of course) to maneuver the cable ... as well as work from the floor up behind the airbag and OnStar unit. However, I've noticed that most mechanics don't have small hands.

HAHA so i finely took the truck into the dealer to get it fixed. Turns out the cable was not installed correctly and got pinched when they installed the IP. Some how they managed to cover the bolt hole with the cable and then cut/pinched the cable when they had to force the bolt in. Not sure if this is done by machine or a person either way its kind of strange.

Bleah -- that's atrocious quality control either way.