GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 4L60E Transmission removal and overhaul

I have spent just over half a day trying to remove my tranny from my 99 Burban. I'm not using a trans jack or lift to take it out and all is going well, I have only 2 bolts left to remove from the top of the tranny, and have found that there is very little room to move in there. I was unable to remove the exhaust crossover on both sides today again due to lack of space. I will be investing in an extion bar, the longest I can find to get the exhaust apart.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove a 4L60E?
    Is it better to remove the cross-member that holds up the back of the tranny?
    If I allow the back of the tranny to drop, will it be easier to get at the 2 top bolts? Will it tilt too far and damage the fan or any other parts?

Any and all input is welcome. I have a 4 volume manual on the way plus an extra manual for the transmission, but it will be a few more days before they arrive and I need to get this job started.

I will post photos later if I can.

Fingers crossed!

My first question is are you using or going to be using a jack of some kind to help support the trans?
    If you let the trans drop just a little it will make it a bit easier to get to the top bolts, if you have access to an impact wrench of some kind it will help to remove those bolts with a ling extension.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry

got it out with a modified trolly jack and aflat board i bolted to it. Once i removed the crossmember i was able to angle the trans and engine to gain better access

I now have an issue with the starter motor. Smoke came out about 3 kms after i started it up and checked everything.
    i am at a loss as to why this happened. Any thoughts?