GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 92 exhaust questions

okay so i have a 92 k1500 and im wanting to do a full exhaust from the manifolds back. whats the best material to use? and can i use the factory Y pipe and just cut it so it's two outlets?

Sr. Engineer

I would take it to a muffler shop ..explain what you want... Do you have a inspection in your state?
    Some will not pass dual exhaust.This means two cats ,two muffler ect.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    I would take it to a muffler shop ..explain what you want... Do you have a inspection in your state?
    Some will not pass dual exhaust.This means two cats ,two muffler ect.
    a street used vehicle cannot be modified like that by a shop, its against federal law and a $25,000 fine for them to remove the cat to do duals in that manner, off road use is a different story, does not matter if it is a non emission state as its federal epa rules, they can change it after the cat to duals but not before the cat. for a person to do it them themselves if they do get caught they can get a $10,000 fine, i had managed a midas muffler and you learn these rules really fast.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by outalne94z71 View Post
    a street used vehicle cannot be modified like that by a shop, its against federal law and a $25,000 fine for them to remove the cat to do duals in that manner, off road use is a different story, does not matter if it is a non emission state as its federal epa rules, they can change it after the cat to duals but not before the cat. for a person to do it them themselves if they do get caught they can get a $10,000 fine, i had managed a midas
    muffler and you learn these rules really fast.
    Yuup why i told him to take it to muffler shop...they will not believe me.

well i'm going to put magnaflow cats on and some kind of muffler, but to be honest, i could give two ****s about the cops...and my inspection is a lick & stick job

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by cooter71 View Post
    well i'm going to put magnaflow cats on and some kind of muffler, but to be honest, i could give two ****s about the cops...and my inspection is a lick & stick job
    Yeah boy wait till you get pulled over ...yes sir ..no sir... lol

Well if people can run around with cummins runnin 5" straight pipes and not get any crap, I think my little 305 will be fine

When you lose your license you'll give a ****, cops in Ma are strict as hell I learned my lesson.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3
    Factory Tint
    Recon Taillights
    2.5 ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Low Profile Toolbox
    Westin Nerf Steps

okay well im in middle of nowhere pa, i didnt ask anyone any questions about cops, or laws. just exhausts

save yourself the headache and just buy a aftermarket kit, they took care of all the guesswork, just hacking your pipes and running duals most likely will not scavenge properly and your motor will not run right, and just end up as another truck making a bunch of crackle and not going anywhere.

even most types of drag racers still use a x pipe so things are not actually true duals and that is done for a reason, two single pipes does not work well, you lose all kinds of power from poor scavenging
    Last edited by outalne94z71; 01-21-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast