GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Silverado to Cyclone conversion under the hood- Is it possible?

So I was talking with my friend that is a mechanic and he said if you really want a fast truck with allot of HP go find a used cyclone. I have never heard of a cyclone, we got online and found some video's on u tube and apparently it is the fastest "stock" truck built.... even beating the ford lightening trucks which come in second in speed records.

Now I am not into the 70's and 80's body styles and I like my full size truck and not a mini truck; and I know allot of us love to mod our trucks,

SO the question is....... What would it take to give a Silverado or Siera 1500 the same or better performance as the cyclone had....

The 0-60, the one mile.... etc. I understand that this means allot of upgrades.... prob. replacing the diff, axles, transmission, all the manifolds, lowering the truck between 1-3 inches, re-programing/tuning, etc....

What would a parts list be for this type of build out? and if we could break it out into 1) least expensive build 2) moderately expensive build and 3) the premium upgrades for the best build.

Legend
    Blog Entries

are you talking about the GMC jimmy cyclone??? if so that really wont take as much to beat out. ill wait for more infor before i state anything build wise.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Master Mechanic

I think he means the 91 GMC Syclone. It was a small size pick up. Heres a page about it.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...e-and-typhoon/
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Kind of hard to beat an AWD turbo 6 in that chassis.

IMHO, the amount of money needed to make a silverado comparable you would be able to buy a used Syclone or Typhoon. Otherwise, a lot of suspension, motor, tuning would be required......not to mention a nice sized turbo.
    11 Silverado Crew Cab
    04 Saturn Ion Redline supercharged swap to turbo

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I think he means the 91 GMC Syclone. It was a small size pick up. Heres a page about it.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/features/car-features/bowtie-breakthroughs-gmc’s-awd-turbo-syclone-and-typhoon/
    Thats the one.... fastest stock truck ever built...... not after market.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Thats the one.... fastest stock truck ever built...... not after market.
    I remember that truck!

Legend

Blog Entries

They were a great GMC truck. They also made the GMC Typhoon that was a nice package also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1991-gmc-syclone-13_c_1280x782.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	33607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gmc-typhoon.jpg 
Views:	3381 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	33608

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Nak the problem is the big difference in weight between the S-10 and the 1500's would be the biggest issue. I bet if you put a big enough turbo on the 5.3 you could get what you want. I would agree you would have to drop the level of the truck a few inches. I would also say maybe a gear change depending on what you got in the truck. It would be nice if the general came out with a truck like that.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    They were a great GMC truck. They also made the GMC Typhoon that was a nice package also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1991-gmc-syclone-13_c_1280x782.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	33607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gmc-typhoon.jpg 
Views:	3381 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	33608
    Yep the Jimmy is what i was refering to, i forgot about the truck model however since they are so rare. As to making it that fast, i personally think you could make the 5.3L put out more power (once again though the power to weight ratio is the issue here) you will want to go with a super charger. I am not a fan of a turbo in that large of a truck due to the lag that you dont want off the line with that much weight. a good cam, bigger injectors, I would put in better head and intake gaskets and a blower putting 10PSI should net you the range of power that you want. a good tune to match the blower with the power train (the 4L65E will need to be built to take the power or that will grenade at its first oportunity) i agree with the rear gears anything less than 3.73s will not give you the desired results. but a bottom line build will be at least $10K.

Truckin' Magazine has fixed up a GM truck that can give you some ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by