GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Post 95 Sonoma - No Start Problem

A work friend of mine has a 95 GMC Sonoma with the 2.2L 4cyl, manual tranny. He had complained for months that occasionally the vehicle would shut down, he would turn the key off and restart it. The problem did not occur often. I suggested it may be related to the ignition switch.

2 days ago as he went to leave the office parking lot the truck would not start at all (turned over but no fire), I went out and it kicked over immediately. Within 90 seconds of idle it died, no restart.

I turned the key to the on position and listened for the fuel pump, knowing nearly all of these truck experience a fuel pump failure at some point. I heard nothing. Tapped the pump/tank, nothing. Sprayed a bit of fuel directly into the intake and cranked it...nothing.

At this point I checked for spark and discovered there was none. I'm thinking with the fuel pump failing to come on and the coil failing to get power is an indication of a failed ignition switch. This seems the most probable issue as far as I can tell.

If anyone has had the same problem or has any advice I would appreciate it. I've been wrenching for years, have restored some classics, and in general know my stuff pretty well, I've agreed to do the repair for him, he's a nice guy and needs the help.

Thank you in advance!

Sr. Engineer

What it sounds like... probably go to you tube and find a vid how to change.