GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Torque Wrenches, what do you recommend and why?

So I have been looking at getting 2 torque wrenches..... one in inch pounds and one in foot pounds.

I hear mixed reviews on different brands and different types. I was also told to stay away from any of the electronic ones because you never and any idea if they are truely calibrated correctly, and they are expensive.

So aside from that, what have you used, how do you like it and is it easy to keep it in calibration? I was thinking about going with a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch drive. I was also told that if you always set the torque setting back to "0" you should not have to worrie about getting them re-calibrated.

Any information would be great....

actually the bring it down to the min can make it less acurate you should keep it at a medium torque. and most inch pound are 3/8 and alot of the foot pound ones are 1/2

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I have craftsmen for both. I have had them for a while with no issues. I would say stay away from the Harbor Freight garbage. If you are using a torque wrench you want it to be right so spend a little cash and get a good one.

I have a few of each in my toolbox. My 3/8 1/2 and 1 inch are all Proto. Expensive? Yes but I also have some from Harbor feight that carry the same warranty and when tested against the others they are fine. Expensive? No
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

my dad and brother both have craftsman ones and have had no issues.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I do have a couple craftsmen and they are old. But they are still very reliable and I got them very cheap at an estate sale a few years back.
    Just gotta look at your budget and decide where you wanna go. If you arent going to use daily then go for Habor or Craftsmen
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

You need both foot and inch lbs wrenches. I have all craftsman, Rebuilt three motors that are still running. I always take mine down to minimum, was told by a snap on dealer thats the best way to store them. I have both 1/2 and 3/8 drives.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

you see a snap on guy telling a craftsmen tool owner. that is good customer service lke we had in the old days
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

Sr. Mechanic

I have a Gray Tool 1/2 drive wrench for the big stuff and a KD Tool 1/4 drive that is in inch lbs fro setting up diffs. Gray is a old tool manufacture and has been around since 1912, i paid for it but it has lasted and has never let me down. Gray put in their instruction booklet to return to zero or lowest setting after use as well as the KD Tool.

i would suggest buying a name brand and spend the money on a good one cause a lifetime tool warranty will not replace engine that came apart or the ring and pinion the exploded.

i guess you can say that you will get what you pay for, but thats just me.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

i swear by Harbor Freight Brand

I've never broke anything
    feels super accurate

I've broke snap on and SK brand ones before but never broke the HF brand