GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Maguiars or Mother's make a cleaner with the clay bar ....works even on paint spalshed on a car ....works
    great for over-spray of undercoating ( don't ask )and for raod-tar....good luck Steve.
    Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

3M makes a professional product (you can buy from 3M online or from your local auto body supplier) that comes in a gallon container (like what antifreeze comes in) that is water based and is a grease remover specifically for paint. Will not harm the paint.

WD-40 is a solvent based lubricant, and while it does dissolve tar (because they are both non-polar molecular structure), it is not compatible with paint finishes.

The citrus based home cleaners in a spray bottle would work, but you need to rinse immediately. They can, if left on a painted surface, remove some paint coatings. 409 is good too, but same issue, make sure you rinse it off immediately.

Auto parts stores sell a water based spray bug and tar remover that is very safe to use. But it does not work as well as the solvent based sprays.

I try to remove the heavy stuff with 3M grease cleaner, then use a clay bar to remove the hard stuff.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Once I ran over a tube of black roofing caulk, basicly tar. It squirted all over my wheel and rocker panel, the tube stuck to the tire and rubbed the rim of the wheel well for several revolutions. The stuff got all over the outside of the left rear fender. I just used Turtle wax bug & tar remover per directions, then washed and waxed with great success even though I had to wait a couple of weeks to clean it up due to freezing weather.

Now, ifin I wuz still down home, this heah be how ta'git that tar offen yer truck. First thang yah do is unhang that thar spar tar outn under thah truck. Then yah gits thah jack outn the truck. Then yah jacks up that truck real high, and yah unduz them lugs, an pulls off that tar. Then ya'll be puttin on that thar spar tar, an' unjackin that thar truck. I'mah hopin' that be helpin ya'll.
    Man, that roofing caulk is evil stuff. I'm actually pretty surprised that you were able to remove it. It's hard enough to get it off your hands, not to mention a truck that had it sitting on the paint for a couple weeks.

I usually just us the Bug and Tar Remover from Autozone. Good luck with your ride Steve!
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    Man, that roofing caulk is evil stuff. I'm actually pretty surprised that you were able to remove it. It's hard enough to get it off your hands, not to mention a truck that had it sitting on the paint for a couple weeks.

I usually just us the Bug and Tar Remover from Autozone. Good luck with your ride Steve!
    Truck shmuck!! That was my '07 Mustang GT that happened to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    3M makes a professional product (you can buy from 3M online or from your local auto body supplier) that comes in a gallon container (like what antifreeze comes in) that is water based and is a grease remover specifically for paint. Will not harm the paint.

WD-40 is a solvent based lubricant, and while it does dissolve tar (because they are both non-polar molecular structure), it is not compatible with paint finishes.

The citrus based home cleaners in a spray bottle would work, but you need to rinse immediately. They can, if left on a painted surface, remove some paint coatings. 409 is good too, but same issue, make sure you rinse it off immediately.

Auto parts stores sell a water based spray bug and tar remover that is very safe to use. But it does not work as well as the solvent based sprays.

I try to remove the heavy stuff with 3M grease cleaner, then use a clay bar to remove the hard stuff.
    I have never had allot of tar on my truck but I often get some on it from road work as Steve described. I use a little Dawn and water and it gets it off pretty easy but it does remove your wax so you will need to re wax but the guy that painted my truck said it won't hurt the paint. Also, the guy that painted my truck said to never use WD-40 because it will remove clearcoat. He said he doesn't even keep WD-40 at his body shop because of what it will do to the paint.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12